Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How do you adapt to rain? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83086)

Mueltrain54 02-22-2013 05:21 PM

How do you adapt to rain?

I am playing my second PDGA tournament to date tomorrow, and I wanted to pose a question to those with some tournament experience.

How do you adapt your game to playing in the rain? Do you change your strategy at all, shot selection, attire? Any advice appreciated.

notroman 02-22-2013 05:26 PM

You definitely want to be prepared. Brings lots of towels, store the used and the dry in separate plastic bags, bring an umbrella, bring a change of clothes (and socks). The drier you keep your body the better off you'll be. Take your time drying off the discs and all that, don't rush.

I tend to throw less Champion/Z plastic stuff when it rains because it gets so slick. I try to stick with Star/ESP and base plastic.

silverbullet 02-22-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notroman (Post 1863811)
You definitely want to be prepared. Brings lots of towels, store the used and the dry in separate plastic bags, bring an umbrella, bring a change of clothes (and socks). The drier you keep your body the better off you'll be. Take your time drying off the discs and all that, don't rush.

I tend to throw less Champion/Z plastic stuff when it rains because it gets so slick. I try to stick with Star/ESP and base plastic.

Pretty much everything i was going to say^. I also always bring a tripod stool with me to sit my bag down to keep it out of the mud

masterlurk 02-22-2013 05:29 PM

micro fiber towels and adequate footwear.

masterlurk 02-22-2013 05:31 PM

it sounds weird, but practice putting with wet putters. then when they get a little dry you'll be fine.

chrishysell 02-22-2013 05:39 PM

Here are some of my tips. Push a cart with an umbrella holder. Carry extra clothes to change into between rounds and afterwards. I use a chamois cloth and just a few towels which I hang up inside my umbrella. Carry multiple pairs of gloves. Warm, dry hands really help. I usually carry about 4 pairs including seal skin gloves and sometimes even some of the industrial latex gloves. Also waterproof socks are helpful. I keep 4 pairs of these as well as 4 pairs of matching shoes. It may sound excessive but it really helps.

Tiny 02-22-2013 05:56 PM

with rain there is wind, I'd suggest wind breaker type material over so your regular clothes dont hold tons of water weighing you down.

Lots of towels, (microfiber for hands is awesome, but they will get so dirty if you aren't careful), if you use a big run up with lots of torque on fast discs, I'd suggest getting some stable-understable discs so just incase you have slippery teepads you can do a stand still.

You can use a towel for grip on your plant foot on the teepad, thats always nice to have, but towels get destroyed when you do this lol.

jtreadwell 02-22-2013 05:58 PM

I bust out the DX and Cryztal flx stuff, plus I disc down so if something slips out of my grasp it won't go as far out of the way as a distance driver would. It's easier to disc down with my home course being heavily wooded though. I try to stay dry with all the extra gear, but unless it's really cold I'm more of the "f@ck it, it's only water" kinda guy.

Jensonian 02-22-2013 06:11 PM

Water proof shoes! Nothing worse than wet feet imo.

teemkey 02-22-2013 06:35 PM

First rule is to stay comfortable, warm & dry. Gear up!

Mud boots -- similar to rain boots, but better made and generally have a grippier sole. These allow you to walk into 6-10" of water while your feet stay dry. Wear rain pants over them and you won't have to worry about damp feet.

Buy them large enough to wear two pair of warm socks. Because there are no laces, the boots are loose on the top of your feet, and the second pair of socks not only keep you warmer, but will keep your feet from slipping around inside the boots. (I also added a pair of Dr. Scholl's gel insoles).

I also wear a latex glove (actually nitrile) under a thin glove on my off hand so that hand doesn't get wet when I pick up a wet disc. You can pick up a pack of six at the dollar store.