Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Putting from circles edge and beyond (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83205)

Shreddedcoconut 02-24-2013 03:51 PM

Putting from circles edge and beyond

This isnt really something I have ever considered before today. But I throw 175g Magnets. I can put with them very straight up to circle's edge maybe a little shy. Any more than that I dont have the zip to reach the basket so it becomes a total guessing game with minimal success, usually resulting in the putt hyzer'ing out before it reaches the basket. When I try to jump putt it feels incredibly awkward and I am sure it looks terrible. No success there either. Putting from the 30-50 ft range for me is the hardest part of the game. Today I thought maybe getting a 150g putter for these ranges might help but I have never heard of anyone doing it. My putting style is somewhat similar to Will Schustericks. Pulling up the poll from my knee with a flick of the wrist at the end. Any help here anyone? :confused:

BigSky 02-24-2013 03:56 PM

I'm I'm farther out I'll switch from Ion, to Anode. That way, if (when) I miss, I'll likely be closer to the basket because it won't fade as much. Both putters are the same weight. I think if you change the weight that much it could be detrimental to your putting routine.

aPfaff 02-24-2013 04:57 PM

Use more of your body weight in shift if your similar to Schusterick. More lower body power will help the disc go farther.

biscoe 02-24-2013 05:41 PM

yep- the kid is right- power comes from your legs...bend your knees.

Grungedude42 02-24-2013 05:49 PM

Straddle putt, start the disc by your ankles.

discgolf4lif3 02-24-2013 06:07 PM

Get another magnet about 170-172g wont be that much different beat it in like you other putters if not more and bend those knees. The lighter putter should help get you some distance and you won't have to change stance or molds.. Goodluck sirs

eegor 02-24-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSky (Post 1866410)
I'm I'm farther out I'll switch from Pure, to Summit. That way, if (when) I miss, I'll likely be closer to the basket because it won't fade as much. Both putters are the same weight. I think if you change the weight that much it could be detrimental to your putting routine.

I do the same thing... changes made in red.

Shreddedcoconut 02-24-2013 09:19 PM

Thanks for the input all. Seems like I need to be shifting my weight more!

ZDotHalbach 02-24-2013 09:57 PM

A really good example is one of the Rico's. one of them did a blog with the Disc Golf Guy explaining how useful your legs are for putting.

kevdiv48 02-24-2013 10:06 PM

I do a combo of the two. I throw a beat 170 Aviar PnA for longer putts as opposed to a near max weight SS Warlock. A more exaggerated swing that is generated from the lower legs will give you the power you need to get the disc to the basket. A jump putt in my understanding is just a putt that you reach far enough down and back and accelerate quickly enough that your leading foot leaves the ground. It shouldn't feel like a forced motion.