Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Playing one's rating (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83559)

gottafixit 03-01-2013 09:26 AM

Playing one's rating

I wanted to see some discussion on playing in the division one is currently rated. The following is what happened that has made me interested in others thoughts. I hope that it doesn't come across that I take offense to how the situation was handled, or that I am against moving up.

I am currently ranked 887. I played in 4 PDGA events last year 3 of which I did not break 900 and 1 I played pretty well at and shortly caused my rating to bumped up to 912 but then quickly back down. I normally throw LFH and putt RBH. I hurt my left arm in the fall and I am now only throwing RBH. I have also taken the Winter off to heal said hurt arm.

I have signed up for a event in April which will likely be one of my first DG outings in months. I decided to sign up in Rec as I am currently rated under 900 and there is a good chance I'll be playing RBH. Cost was also a minor factor as I'm playing in the event more for fun than I am to compete and I don't like throwing away money playing up if I'm not likely to be a true contender(Yes it's not likely that big a difference in cost but money is money). I have played this event twice before both times in Intermediate though I was still rated under 900. Looking back I notice that the majority of the players in INT were under 900 and there was no Rec division either year.

I was contacted by the TD saying I might want to consider bumping up as there have been some complaints as I have been playing a few years now. I told him I took no offense to his suggestion and that I have no issue with moving up but explained the above. He understood and said to keep him posted should I be feeling more competitive come April. The thing that got me thinking was that he said in his opinion if I was in full health that a rating of 887 was to high to be playing Rec.

So if 887 is to high to be playing Rec who should be playing Rec? I notice that many people are playing divisions above their rating. As a player Why? I always feel bad for the Novice(below 850 rated) players that plays in Rec with high 800 rated players or even worse INT with up to 935 rated players. I understand sometimes there are not enough(what is it 3 players) to warrant a division but I've played many events were there is. Discuss.

agibson 03-01-2013 09:41 AM

People can obviously play "up" if they want to. And, many places, that seems to be an established piece of disc golf culture. But, it's pretty strange that the TD would go out of his way to contact you to discuss it. Surely you're entirely within your rights to play your rating.

I'm hoping this year, if things go well, to pull my rating above the Novice-Rec divide. But, I'd be quite happy if I won a Novice division along the way.

I'll happily take my "1st place, Teeball" title, thank you very much. (On my way to bigger and better things, hopefully.)

filobedo 03-01-2013 09:42 AM

I am glad they offer Rec now because when I started playing tournaments in 2006 I cannot remember a Rec division offered at any tournaments I played. I played Intermediate for 3 years during that time and my highest rating was around 860 during those 3 years and 785 was my lowest rating. Not that I am a good player but I think playing against better played helped me advance a bit. Back then I think you could not play Intermediate if you were rated higher than 915 though.

smyith 03-01-2013 09:56 AM

play where you are comfortable. I would say if you are consistently placing well in REC, even when not playing well, then move up. but the ratings are there to help place people so use them if you want

DavidSauls 03-01-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottafixit (Post 1875991)
I was contacted by the TD saying I might want to consider bumping up as there have been some complaints as I have been playing a few years now. I told him I took no offense to his suggestion and that I have no issue with moving up but explained the above. He understood and said to keep him posted should I be feeling more competitive come April. The thing that got me thinking was that he said in his opinion if I was in full health that a rating of 887 was to high to be playing Rec.

So if 887 is to high to be playing Rec who should be playing Rec?

Play your rating. That's what it's there for. Unless YOU want to play up.

Under the TD's thinking, everyone rated "Rec" should play Intermediate and everyone rated "Intermediate" should play Advanced and everyone rated "Advanced" should play Open....and you end up with the exact same groupings as you would have if everyone played their rating, except a lot of donators in the Open division.

JC17393 03-01-2013 09:59 AM

First question, PDGA event or not?

If it's PDGA, then their guidelines rule the day. You are allowed to play Rec based on your rating, so no one can stop you.

If it's not PDGA, then it probably isn't a bad idea to go with the flow a bit. There are plenty of areas where the PDGA scale doesn't quite fit the reality (860 rated players in Int, 910 players in Adv, 950 players in Open, etc).

But if Rec was never offered before at this event, that is as good an explanation for all the 880 rated players in Intermediate as any. IMO, someone has to be the one to play strictly by the ratings guidelines and establish Rec as something more than just a dumping ground for the newbies and kids. It's as legitimate a division as any other.

ru4por 03-01-2013 10:02 AM

I find it surprising that other feel it is their business, what division you play in. Rec should be for those continuing to hone their skills and be competetive at the same time. If they are that concerned about placing and competition, maybe they should move up.

oddjob 03-01-2013 10:08 AM

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/99600

looks like just about everyone in INT have ratings that place them in REC.

wake911 03-01-2013 10:10 AM

I play up because I should. I am 100% an adv/open skill level player (i beat those rated much higher than me regularly in casual play, tag play, etc) But have been incredibly mentally weak over the last 8 months playing tournaments again after basically taking 5 years off (played 1-2 rounds a year over those years) I will not lower my personal standards just because i'm playing piss poor coming back to the sport. Until I get my mental game back, i'm just donating a little extra to the fund, so don't see why folks complain.

I think playing up is always acceptable, assuming your pace of play is acceptable for that skill level. If you are a rec player, who shoots 70 and playing open where they are shooting 50, that's fine. Just don't stand over your shots for 30 sec every time analyzing....play some ready golf and be quick. NO ONE cares how bad you are, if you don't slow them down and are giving them money through your entry fee. But, if you are a bad player and play up, and slow the better players down...that's when they'll have an issue with it.

You learn a lot playing up too. I played up to Open my first tourney in 6 years...NO REASON TO...other than i was busy the adv day, so played open since I wanted to play the private course. I got in a group with a touring pro, rated over 1015. I think i spent more time watching him play than actually thinking about my own game. I learned a few good tips about course management that are helping me out. I played smart, even on the holes I blew up on, i kept a quick pace, never made folks wait for me despite throwing 17 extra shots that round. (still took the tee pad twice!)

The key is to play whatever you want, that you are allowed to. If you are more comfortable playing at your rating to compete with like people, then do it. Anyone who tries to force you up is silly. (same goes for ADV to Open, there is no top limit to adv, don't complain if someone is "high rated" and not playing open) If you want to play up, play up. I enjoy playing up due to the learning, and always trying to beat people "better" than me.

gottafixit 03-01-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 1876065)
Play your rating. That's what it's there for. Unless YOU want to play up.

Under the TD's thinking, everyone rated "Rec" should play Intermediate and everyone rated "Intermediate" should play Advanced and everyone rated "Advanced" should play Open....and you end up with the exact same groupings as you would have if everyone played their rating, except a lot of donators in the Open division.

I think this was a bit more of my point, why shift the scale, if all 880 players are playing INT that is now Rec. I would rater see people sticking more to their ratings and being competitive with in that division then bumping up and not being a true contender and basically donating their entry fee. I think some may have issues with the title "Rec" so they play up. I want to be in Int but after a couple years of trying I'm still under 900. Sure I'm at the top of that division but is that enough reason to say I now need to move up to the bottom of INT.

PS PDGA event