Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Maxing at 300' FH edition (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84466)

Notverygood 03-12-2013 08:11 PM

Maxing at 300' FH edition

I know the issue of maxing out at 300' is common, and has to do with form flaws. I've read and searched dgcr and have found lots of helpful things, but it mostly refers to Bh, with very little directed to FH.

If I have overlooked some thread or previous posts with good information don't hesitate to post it! I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can.

As a new player I went on a disc buying binge and bought several warp speed discs (cannon, lace, destroyer, nuke) but can't get them out past 300'. After my reading I decided to put them all to the side for the time being and have since been throwing soley by leopard, volt and river for "max D" drives when on the course, which I can still put out to around 300'.

I've done field days on a local hs football field throwing all the discs I have trying to focus on what I've read and seen to iron out my form. Throwing so much my arm is sore the next day. Focusing on keeping my elbow close to my side, keeping my palm from turning over and a strong hit or snap at the end with the wrist to produce the spin.

All this said, I threw my warp speed drivers yesterday and was still putting them all almost right at 300'. My leopard, volt and river were just about as long as these discs still

What are the common flaws that could lead to this? Something I need to take a video of to get accurate critique?

Again, if this is something that has been covered please let me know!

sidewinder22 03-12-2013 08:31 PM

Video certainly helps. Weight forward and grip/nose angle are likely suspects. Could also be rexing/short arming if your elbow never extends. FWIW the Banshee was the disc I learned to throw with and IMO is great for learning with one disc.

discanova 03-12-2013 08:31 PM

if you post a vid of your form I can help.

Notverygood 03-12-2013 08:39 PM

I've been using Avery Jenkins power grip as it feels most comfortable, and has proved most consistent for me. Middle finger out straight under rim with index finger tucked/bent in pressing firmly against the rim.

Unfortunately I don't have any video of my form, but ill see if I can tape some within the next few days

KatanaFrenzy 03-12-2013 08:53 PM

If you want to learn a good side arm, watch Sarah Hokom or Ricky Wysocki. Sarah Hokom teaches a wonderful clinics and they're all over youtube. I really suggest looking at those. Ricky is a beast at sidearms too and Big Jerm.

But if you want personal critic, videos are king.

discanova 03-12-2013 09:12 PM

My flick max is about 350-375 down here in south florida where discs tend to not fly as far. I have a 1 step run up and barely any arm movement, its almost all wrist. This is my second year playing and unless there is an injury preventing you from learning BH, I would suggest working on getting more distance with the back hand and get more accurate with the flick. A flick is best when accurate rather than super long. If your not flipping a volt and a river or even a lace or nuke, than you do not have enough snap to throw over 300 with a flick. Most "monster flickers" flick over stable plastic because the amount of snap required to throw far is a lot.

thedrew300 03-12-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discanova (Post 1896964)
If your not flipping a volt and a river or even a lace or nuke, than you do not have enough snap to throw over 300 with a flick. Most "monster flickers" flick over stable plastic because the amount of snap required to throw far is a lot.

Not true. Don't worry about being a "monster flicker" yet. Get that volt out past 300 on a controlled line. It can definitely be done. Focus on keeping your palm up through the follow through. This will help prevent wrist roll and the dreaded OAT.

KatanaFrenzy 03-12-2013 09:47 PM

I can flick an APX 250ft. It doesn't matter about the disc. It's the form and control of torque and release.

Mike C 03-12-2013 09:58 PM

Having recently been there myself, some culprits might be limited body movement, bad footwork, turning the hips and shoulders too early and thinking you're using your body but really just using your arm, not pinching with your grip tight enough as you're coming into the hit, and keeping the elbow too close so that it isn't able to effectively contribute to carrying the body's power to your wrist.

jchoate7 03-12-2013 10:06 PM

Just go out and watch tennis. Seriously though. When federer hits a forehand you'll see his foot work, shoulder and just about everything you need to throw a good forehand drive. I can throw my fh at about 425 ft (udisc GPS measured). The only thing you need to work on is instead of going low to high that you'll see a tennis player do just keep your arm more parallel to the ground. Nw as for the grip use what works for you. I personally have my pointer finger on the inside rim of the disc, my middle finger rests on the rim (adjust it for nose angle) and my thumb on top of the disc.