Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Small hands (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84959)

samfoy 03-19-2013 11:08 PM

Small hands

I am a large man. I have small hands.

I didn't always notice that I had small hands. One day I'm sitting in Calculus class and the teacher is teaching. She looks at me for a second and suddenly stops teaching. She says, "Sam, you have really small hands."

I laugh it off, but I'm sitting there thinking, "Do I really?"

"No, I mean, they're like girl's hands. They are really tiny."

Anyway, the point is that I have tiny hands, and I'm beginning to realize that it is negatively impacting my disc golfing. Basically, I can throw eagles 30-40 feet farther than Destroyers, Halos, et. al.

I use a modified fan grip/fork grip whatever you want to call. The "Climo Grip". I just can't get a secure enough grip on large rimmed discs to consistently get an efficient transfer of energy to the disc.

Is there a solution to this that doesn't handicap my distance potential? Are there other grips that I should look at? Have others dealt with this problem?

I suppose this is something lots of female disc golfers must deal with, but I don't know too many who throw terribly far.

As far as more info goes, I've found that speed 10 discs are about as much as I can comfortably grip. Occasionally I'll manage to get a good rip on a wide rimmed disc, but I haven't been able to do so with any consistency.

jcrab66 03-19-2013 11:15 PM

paige seems to do ok and she has small hands

bergdawg 03-19-2013 11:22 PM

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Rockiesfan4ever 03-19-2013 11:25 PM

I have this exact same issue! I've been getting good distance with a Beast so you should try that if you haven't

sidewinder22 03-20-2013 02:10 AM

Just saying... a Teebird held the distance record at 805' and Valk at 820'. Try a fan grip, or 3 or 2 finger grip on wider rims.

nkhoury 03-20-2013 08:21 AM

Bro , small hands, no big deal. No power grip, forget about it. I too have smallish hands. I don't throw anything over speed 9 unless I'm messing around. That being said, all the local "pros" and other people are always telling me to try the power grip and to throw a nuke or destroyer. Then I out-drive them with my river and saint. I also use the climo style grip, and it doesn't seem to hinder me too much. Just work on form and you'll be able to throw everything further.

gcanter2376 03-20-2013 09:40 AM

ands

Hat size gloves do you wear? I am right between med and large in size. What i do is use a 3 finger power grip. I use my thumb to apply pressure on top of the flight plate where the rim starts underneath. Then i use my ring finger (on right hand) to apply counter pressure on the under side of the rim. Something i learned from feldberg during one of the nonstop dg tournies. Wider rims feel for comfortable than smaller ones now. I dont throw the really wide rims alot but when i do i dont have any trouble. I backhand about 375 on average but i can push it out a little farther. Just one of several tweeks i had to do to get a little more distance.

garublador 03-20-2013 10:08 AM

I'm 6'2", I don't have particularly small hands and speed 10 or so is about the max rim width I can get a good rip on with any sort of consistency. Anything faster might go farther, but only like 30% of the time. I'd just focus on the discs you can grip and work incrementally up from there if you really feel the need.

sloppydisc 03-20-2013 10:27 AM

I'd slap that calculus teacher up side the head. Seems like a pretty rude comment.

On the hand size issue, it should hurt your game. Like mentioned above, you can get lots of distance out of speed 9 or lower discs. Plus by tinkering with different grips you should be able to find something that will work fine. Sure, you may never throw a Boss 600', but either will most people with big hands.

Dan Ensor 03-20-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppydisc (Post 1909629)
I'd slap that calculus teacher up side the head. Seems like a pretty rude comment.

On the hand size issue, it shouldn't hurt your game. Like mentioned above, you can get lots of distance out of speed 9 or lower discs. Plus by tinkering with different grips you should be able to find something that will work fine. Sure, you may never throw a Boss 600', but neither will most people with big hands.

ftfy

negative statements are tricky.