Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How much wind does it take (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85489)

Bigwind1177 03-27-2013 03:10 AM

How much wind does it take

As you can tell from my user name I enjoy the challenge of playing in the wind. I keep reading on how to deal with the wind but I was wondering how much wind it takes for you to start to disc up/down and really adjust for the wind. Just talking about head winds and tail winds. Crosswinds will always scare me.

A Gold Piggie 03-27-2013 03:59 AM

The more experienced you become, the more you will learn how to deal with the wind. Knowing how your discs react to different speeds of wind is also a key factor. For me, I throw a power flick primarily. I usually throw bosses and firebirds but when I encounter a headwind of about 10mph I'll up it to an xcaliber. Any wind over 15mph and I use my trusty ole nuke OS. For tailwinds of about 10mph I just use my flippiest boss or my D1 and throw it dead flat. They flip nicely and hold before finally finishing on target. 15mph tailwinds and I throw the same way but with my D4.

jongoff09 03-27-2013 04:13 AM

Even a slight wind will affect a disc. Whether I disc up or down is completely based on how I feel about the shot that I am about to throw and the obstacles in the way or around the basket. Sometimes I might change discs in as little as a 2-5mph wind, and sometimes I may wait 'til about a 10mph wind. Any more than that and there may be no choice but to disc up or down.

Tiny 03-27-2013 04:23 AM

Depends on the shot.

Usually, 5-10+ mph, I'll throw a hornet instead of buzzz.
10-15+mph, I'll throw a XXX or xtreme, instead of escape or gazelle
With drivers I'll throw surges up to 10mph, crushes up to 15-20, Then firebird otherwise.

With tailwind, I throw buzzz ss, rivers, and judges

garublador 03-27-2013 10:16 AM

It depends on where in the range of distances I can throw any disc the shot lands. For example, if it's a long midrange shot and there's a 5mph headwind I'll disc up. If it's a short or mid midrange shot in a 5mph headwind I'll just throw a more overstable mid or add hyzer. If there's a 10-15mph wind I'll most likely disc up/down.

TeeSquared 03-27-2013 11:07 AM

A very easy thing to remember that someone recently told me... Headwinds make discs less stable and tailwinds make discs more stable. Using this knowledge I've been getting significantly better at choosing which disc would work best for which shot, this always being dependent on the actual line you wish to throw. Trying out different discs with tail winds and then with headwinds will help you learn how your discs fly under those conditions. Get to know your discs flight under each wind variable and then you can use them to follow the lines you want. Heavier discs are generally less affected by the wind and sometimes you can use this to your advantage sometimes it's better to use a lighter disc to get the turn over or fade you desire.

Crosswinds are a different story still working it out but i know i can throw an understable disc into a right to left crosswind and usually land a good straight drive. If it's a left to right crosswind i usually throw an overstable disc to get similar results.

There are always more variables to this and i don't generally carry the same mold of discs in varying weights. If it's windy I usually throw my heaviest discs albeit understable or overstable.

dusty5150 03-27-2013 11:44 AM

I love playing in the wind. The more experienced you get the more comfortable you'll get with it. I don;t have a set wind speed that I disc up/down at, it's just about feel and what the shot at hand requires. And there are those general rules of thumb (ie. overstable into a headwind etc) but I would recommend everyone to experiment with all types of discs in all types of wind. I hyzerflip understable discs into the wind all the time and use overstable discs for spikes with big tailwinds - you'd be suprised what you can make a disc do if you understand the wind.

Understand what the wind does to a disc is key, then go from there :)

5QU166Y 03-27-2013 02:04 PM

This is what I generally do in the wind:

0-10mph - adjust release angle
10-20mph - change disc and release angle according to direction of wind
20+mph - wonder why I decided to play disc golf that day

wake911 03-27-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5QU166Y (Post 1922742)
20+mph - wonder why I decided to play disc golf that day

been there. When discs hit the chains, and the wind blows them back out on a putt, you question your sanity on playing that day....but, what if that is a tourney? gotta be prepared!

ohtobediscing 03-27-2013 02:53 PM

If I was faced with a constant wind:
Under 7-8 mph, I'll just use the heaviest of my normal drivers and mids/putters stay the same.
Over that, the overstable max weight drivers come out, and a stable fairway driver might be used for approach shots.