Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Whachutalkinbout Feldberg? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85589)

Deuces 03-28-2013 12:10 PM

Whachutalkinbout Feldberg?

Has anyone seen this before? And does anyone know what he is talking about in the part that starts around 10 minutes in? This seems over my head.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

kaiser flippin 03-28-2013 12:29 PM

feldberg is a smart dude. he's basically talking about controlled OAT. blending two throws into one shot to make a more complex line.

The Hammer 03-28-2013 12:32 PM

Intentional off axis torque (OAT).....it's a fairly advanced/pro level technique. I'm just now incorporating it into my game.

Dan Ensor 03-28-2013 12:42 PM

First of all, I'll reiterate a key phrase in that video "If you learned a lot from the previous segment, turn your ears off for this next part."

But ... what he's talking about is changing the disc's angle by changing the plane you're delivering the disc on. If you were watching from behind, the first 10 minutes you would see his body as an "|". The next 5 or so minutes, it would look like a "/" to change to a more anhyzer disc angle, or "\" to change to a more hyzer disc angle.

For the question in the vid "Why would you change half-way through your throw": Because it's not comfortable to run up with your body like "/". It's also more disorienting on reachback.

Dan Ensor 03-28-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser flippin (Post 1924326)
feldberg is a smart dude. he's basically talking about controlled OAT. blending two throws into one shot to make a more complex line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hammer (Post 1924330)
Intentional off axis torque (OAT).....it's a fairly advanced/pro level technique. I'm just now incorporating it into my game.

No, no, no ...

the 3rd angle he talked about not talking about is OAT.

The Hammer 03-28-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Ensor (Post 1924353)
No, no, no ...

the 3rd angle he talked about not talking about is OAT.

lol, ok. I'm only working with Feldy on my game right now. I must not know what he is talking about. I'll ask him today......mmm kay.

Dan Ensor 03-28-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hammer (Post 1924363)
lol, ok. I'm only working with Feldy on my game right now. I must not know what he is talking about. I'll ask him today......mmm kay.

Well ... I guess I'm not sure that I'm versed in every type of OAT, but it's not the commonly referenced wrist roll that is the most uncontrolled OAT, and what I think about any time someone says "OAT". When I think about putting OAT on a throw, I'm doing something with my wrist, not my plane alignment.

Edit: When I throw a roller, I manipulate both OAT and plane alignment. They're not related in my mind, though.

rocthecourse 03-28-2013 12:57 PM

Sounds like controlled OAT to me since you can't change angle[of the disc] during the throw without some OAT(at least not near the hit.)

New013 03-28-2013 12:58 PM

I mess around with wrist roll OAT on flex shots, once you get it down you can accomplish much more controlled flex shots with less lateral movement.

I've probably done some of the changing planes OAT he's talking about but it wasn't on purpose. Might have to fool around with that today.

Dan Ensor 03-28-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocthecourse (Post 1924372)
Sounds like controlled OAT to me since you can't change angle[of the disc] during the throw without some OAT(at least not near the hit.)

Even near the hit, if you change your plane alignment, the disc doesn't change relative to the body, only relative to earth. You can pull in a clean line, preserving the disc's relative axis.

What you guys are saying, to me, is that you can't throw an OAT-free shot if you're not standing straight up and down.