Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are the appeals of "sanctioning" a disc golf event (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85610)

rj29274 03-28-2013 05:20 PM

What are the appeals of "sanctioning" a disc golf event

Just curious.

dehaas 03-28-2013 05:22 PM

insurance is the big thing. also having your event on the pdga calendar will help draw in more out of towners. there have been instances in the past where my wife was out of town for work and because she wasn't around for the weekend the first thing i checked was the pdga site to see if there was something nearby that i could hit that weekend.

bradharris 03-28-2013 05:23 PM

1. More attractive to players trying to accumulate points or play for rating.
2. Cheaper insurance options.
3. Gives it a more "official" feel (again, helping to make it more attractive to players)

mashnut 03-28-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradharris (Post 1924796)
1. More attractive to players trying to accumulate points or play for rating.
2. Cheaper insurance options.
3. Gives it a more "official" feel (again, helping to make it more attractive to players)

Good points. Related to 3 I'd add that it lets people know what to expect in terms of typical divisions, payouts and players' packs, where unsanctioned events sometimes fall much farther from the established norm.

rj29274 03-28-2013 06:10 PM

I thought w/ the sanctioning fees and pdga player fees the payout would be smaller? Am I wrong? Or, does the pdga sanctioning label limit a TD from "skimming" off the top and help create legitimacy this way

My bias is that I hate renewing my membership every year to play 2-3 events and get a magazine I never read.

Does sanctioning really attract players? idk, I like having a cold beer or two during my round.

JC17393 03-28-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rj29274 (Post 1924887)
I thought w/ the sanctioning fees and pdga player fees the payout would be smaller? Am I wrong? Or, does the pdga sanctioning label limit a TD from "skimming" off the top and help create legitimacy this way

Many PDGA events involve some sort of sponsorship to off-set fees...in fact, it's required for events sanctioned as B-tier or higher.

As for "skimming", the PDGA allows TD's to retain a percentage of an event's proceeds as compensation. Few TDs take advantage of that allowance, or funnel it right back into the event.

dehaas 03-28-2013 06:13 PM

i can't speak for other areas, but a lot of our local non sanctioned tournaments have entry fees in the $15-20 range for ams. pdga sanctioned fees are usually a little higher, usually in the $25-30 range.

sanctioning your tournament will probably make it look a bit more official if you are trying to hit up area business for donations or sponsorship. depending on how crazy you're trying to get with sponsorship the investment of getting sanctioned might pay for itself on the back end.

rj29274 03-28-2013 06:15 PM

I hear ya. And this is not an indictment on the pdga. . .just wondering what you all thought

DavidSauls 03-28-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

My bias is that I hate renewing my membership every year to play 2-3 events and get a magazine I never read.

Does sanctioning really attract players? idk, I like having a cold beer or two during my round.

Around here, sanctioning attracts more players. On average, anyway; there are exceptions.

As for payouts, more players means bigger payouts.

sidewinder22 03-28-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

I don't know if we could get waiver, but this is a reason we haven't had a sanctioned event at the Brewery. :D