Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Question about plastic. (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86477)

primal dg 04-11-2013 01:04 AM

Question about plastic.

Alright lets talk innova.(ive only thrown innova, disccraft, and lat 64) DX, Pro, R-pro, Champion, Star, Blizzard. i heard things like champ is more overstable and doesnt fly as far. pro flies furthest? idk ive heard some rumors and wanna know the truth.

My expirences with platic is this: ive always liked throwing champion sidearm, i feel like it can take whatever torque i put on it. ive never liked sidearming anything else. but previously(about 2 weeks ago) i did away with sidearm drives because after two rounds my arm was shot. and i feel like backhand is less effort and just as effective. i played strictly sidearm drives for 3 years.

once i started throwing backhand my favorite has been dx and pro. idk why but it just seems better. ive also started throwing blizzards some.(without great success) but i like them so when i can i will throw them.

whatta ya guys think?

primal dg 04-11-2013 01:08 AM

uhm....btw.... i meant this thread to be in equiptment...not bag suggestions... if it could get moved thatd be great... my apologies

BigSky 04-11-2013 01:23 AM

Throw whatever you feel comfortable throwing. That's about all there is to it.

Champion plastic has less glide than DX. It also retains it's flight characteristics much longer than DX. I feel like a lot of Champ discs feel sharp in the hand. DX feels really nice. I love the worn, beat feel of the softer DX plastic. It's all about personal comfort.

Aim For The Chains 04-11-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primal dg (Post 1944866)
Alright lets talk innova.(ive only thrown innova, disccraft, and lat 64) DX, Pro, R-pro, Champion, Star, Blizzard. i heard things like champ is more overstable and doesnt fly as far. pro flies furthest?

whatta ya guys think?

Generally baseline/lower grade plastics tend to be less stable as well as have more glide and stay in the air easier than their premium plastic counterparts, which are actually a little faster flying, making them more overstable with often less distance potential for the average player. The break-in periods are more important IMO than their distance potential because a seasoned champ/star disc flies much different than a new one will-- where a brand new DX mold vs a new champ/star mold will be relatively the same until used.

Tmart 04-11-2013 11:51 AM

My guess is that since your forehand drives are hurting your arm you are using bad forehand form(like many people do) and in turn your forehand drives have a lot of OAT (which you may not even notice because drivers tend to hide OAT a bit). The OAT is causing a MAJOR loss of stability upon release which forced you to use champion plastic(the most overstable plastic Innova makes).

Monkeypaws 04-11-2013 12:20 PM

I like the silky feel of Star plastic - this winter though, I stuck with DX mainly for the grip.

Don't really like old champion or pro. The Champion is pretty sweet though.

Yes, it is a matter of taste I would guess.

PMantle 04-11-2013 12:23 PM

Champion drivers just don't work for me. especially out of the gate. they need serious seasoning. My tern has been an exception.

If I could, I'd have nothing but pro drivers and just cycle them. That just can't happen.

Love Dx for about a week. I have a Wraith and a Beast that you just would not believe. Worthless unless a 20 MPH wind from behind.

Monkeypaws 04-11-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypaws (Post 1945350)
I like the silky feel of Star plastic - this winter though, I stuck with DX mainly for the grip.

Don't really like old champion or pro. The Champion is pretty sweet though.

Yes, it is a matter of taste I would guess.

Make that "new" Champion. Never thrown it, but is sure feels and looks great.

carlking 04-11-2013 06:16 PM

the only innova plastic that I have not thrown is pro. I love my champ firebird; my question is: is it worth searching the internet for the old pro firebirds?

Also I love the tacky r-pro discs. I think there great for my slower midrange shots. Im wondering if r-pro is a good option for trying a roc.

pauldst 04-12-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlking (Post 1945912)
Also I love the tacky r-pro discs. I think there great for my slower midrange shots. Im wondering if r-pro is a good option for trying a roc.

I'm curious about Rocs in R-pro, too! I almost ordered one this week, but decided to wait...