Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weekend experience & DG Image (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86690)

KniceZ 04-15-2013 09:29 AM

Weekend experience & DG Image

Wanted to share an experience from this weekend.

Went to NC this weekend to a soccer tournament with my wife and daughter (Junior in HS). After the games were done, I convinced them to stop by a course and throw a quick round. My wife came with me and my daughter stayed in the car reading and doing homework.

When we got back to the car, my daughter was somewhat shaken about being left alone and asked why I liked DG since I'm not like most of the people she saw coming to the course. She told us about players coming in drinking, doing other illegal activity, and using inappropriate language. I will say that I also saw a couple folks running around with no shirt on, their pants falling off, and yelling obsenities about bad throws or missed putts.

I don't want to sound like a Puritan and I'm not trying to condemn people for what they do, they just need to be aware of those around them and the image they protray of the sport. DG isn't going to get any respect if the DG community doesn't put forth a better image.

bradharris 04-15-2013 09:54 AM

The people you're describe likely are not serious players and don't really care about the image the sport portrays.

This is the reason for the PDGA dress code. Try to create a positive image of competitive disc golf. Casual disc golf, like any other sport, will attract a wide variety of characters and personalities.

Happablap 04-15-2013 10:02 AM

:popcorn:

BruceLeroy 04-15-2013 10:12 AM

What course did you play in NC?

KniceZ 04-15-2013 10:32 AM

Didn't want to draw attention to the course so I didn't specify. But it was near Winston-Salem.

During casual play should we say something??

bradharris 04-15-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KniceZ (Post 1949989)
During casual play should we say something??

For casual play I really don't care how people behave so long as they aren't interfering with others' enjoyment of the public space.

Jukeshoe 04-15-2013 10:40 AM

All you can do (other than taking people aside and talking with them...good luck) is act in a manner that helps counteract the image they're portraying. :shrugsmiley:

Aim For The Chains 04-15-2013 10:46 AM

Serious players or not, they should have enough self respect and common sense to act as a civilized human being in public. I don't understand why DG (and other niche sports) often have a following or image portrayed by a few "losers" which ruin it for everyone. You tell someone you DG and you will get an automatic drunk/pothead no job hippie etc kinda look, when all reality our sport is FAR from any of those things, but people often remember the bad/ugly. Boils down to the simple principle we all dealt with as children and how others can ruin something for everyone-- still exists no matter our age just some are too ignorant to take notice not to mention have a lot of maturing to do.

scarpfish 04-15-2013 11:39 AM

The moral to this story is that it takes all types to make a world.

Hampstead 04-15-2013 11:44 AM

Inappropriate language?!?!

They'll pull the course for sure.