Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Discraft changing its plastic? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87133)

tkaiser 04-22-2013 04:58 PM

Discraft changing its plastic?

I have been a big fan of the consistency of all of Discraft's plastic, ESP, FLX, and Elite X. But, I went up to CJ's Disc Golf Store near Hudson Mills and I was shocked at what I found.

First off, I have played with a large number of Discraft discs and have always loved their ESP line. They have always been the same from store to store. But, when I picked up what seemed to be new ESP I was shocked that this specific ESP disc was transparent! GASP. :gross: That isn't so bad, but the plastic felt slick and not as gummy. I have held a lot of ESP discs and several of the "new" run was so far removed from the consistent feel of the discs that I have grown accustomed to.

Has anyone else had this experience? My friend and I are both big Discraft fans and we left the store dejected and thinking that we might have to now search for old ESP plastic. Maybe it was a fluke. I hope so. :thmbdown:

Innovadude 04-22-2013 05:19 PM

Every company's plastic varies from time to time, it boils down to the supplier. I haven't seen any like you describe yet, but we're getting a new order in a few days.

All our ESP at The Throw Shop (Ypsilanti) should be the 'old' stuff. Send me a message with what disc/weight you're looking for, I can check.

TheWCG 04-22-2013 05:30 PM

I have a misprint esp surge in my bag that is transparent. Still flys like an ESP!:thmbup:

Sid the Kid 04-22-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkaiser (Post 1961829)
I have been a big fan of the consistency of all of Discraft's plastic...

No company is truly consistent. Discraft plastic just sells more slowly than others, so you have more of a chance to get 2 discs from the same batch.

I've felt up gummy ESP, which could have easily been FLX. And I love the brick hard ESP discs, but you just don't know what you are going to get if ordering online. Buying in person is the only way to go.

tkaiser 04-22-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid the Kid (Post 1961892)
Buying in person is the only way to go.

This is the best route. I did get a sick Pink and Rainbow Stamp ESP Force from eBay.

Emoney 04-22-2013 06:07 PM

I have a esp nuke that feels like it has alot of elite x plastic in it. It feels like elite x nuke not esp. It does fly a long ways though, so i didnt complain

AikoAdam 04-23-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid the Kid (Post 1961892)
No company is truly consistent. Discraft plastic just sells more slowly than others, so you have more of a chance to get 2 discs from the same batch.

lolwut? :confused:

SteezeOG 04-23-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AikoAdam (Post 1962784)
lolwut? :confused:

Yeah. maybe where he lives. I still see it selling pretty good at DD. I wish other manufacturers tried a version of ESP FLX. I love love love latitude gold line but in extremely cold weather it gets hard like other plastics. ESP FLX seems to stay softer in those low temps I'd like to see another manufacturer try to best it.

Earic02 04-23-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 1961926)
I have a esp nuke that feels like it has alot of elite x plastic in it. It feels like elite x nuke not esp. It does fly a long ways though, so i didnt complain

----------------------------------------
cali09-08-2010, 05:19 PM

......Well it's not ESP in general. The ESP Nuke just has tons of Pro-D thrown into the mix because just straight ESP plastic would make the weights crazy high. Food for thought.

---------------------------------------

Earic02 04-23-2013 10:28 AM

The transparent disc in question is probably a misprint Z plastic disc.

..Unless you've see multiple clear-ish ESP labeled discs. Pic(s) please!