Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Another question....after arm bend and extension (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87348)

loki993 04-25-2013 12:07 PM

Another question....after arm bend and extension

I know a lot of questions lately but I'm really trying to get something solid down so bear with me. Plus the weathers been garbage here lately and I cant get out and throw to work on anything.

So I think I have the concept of the reach back and pull down say to the right pec. Once I get there I'm foggy on whats supposed to happen. When I watch videos people are into their turn and the arm straightens out.

The question is how does this happen....If it a conscious thing, ie when I get to the right pec am I supposed to whip my arm out to straighten it or its is just something the happens with momentum. I think one of the things I was or am doing is I keep the arm bent because basically I don't know how I'm supposed to straighten it

A rod 04-25-2013 01:17 PM

Your back foot should be engaging the hips slightly before the disc is to your right pec, so that the thrusting forward of the trailing hip causes your lower arm to whip.

Once the disc is at the right pec you accelerate your hand through the hit. Think of a backfist or slapping motion about armpit high.

What ultimately helped me learn this timing and throwing motion is pretty simple.

When pulling through, the trailing hip should follow the disc coming across your body as close as possible, like if there was a 5" string from the rear of the disc attached to your rear hip bone. It would be like by pulling the disc across your body, you would be pulling the rear hip with it too, as if it were attached with string.

Maybe that can help you visualize how that pull through acceleration and hip timing is all conjoined

A rod 04-25-2013 01:30 PM

There's another thread in this technique and strategy section, called right oblique getting stained/sore. Sidewinder posted a video on like the 3rd post with ultimate rob, that shows very well how the hip timing, pull through and acceleration work together:thmbup:

Asian Style 04-25-2013 02:15 PM

Basically what A rod said but I'll add a few things that helped me.

Make sure you aren't tensing your arm prematurely. Tensing too early can throw your timing and speed off. I think someone told me at some point that the tension will build "naturally". I didn't really understand that until I got my hips involved and then I understood that quick hips build an incredible amount of force. When I knew I had to really bomb the disc, I would revert back to strong arming which is bad. It's almost counter intuitive. I throw way further and more accurately now with ease than when I first started because I'm using my hips better.

I make a conscious effort to push my elbow forward like I am elbowing the target. I'm not trying to "stop" the elbow per se, more like I'm directing the elbow as far forward toward the target as my flexibility will allow before the force swings the rest of my arm around. This helps me make sure I'm getting a full extension and I'm not "rounding" it and losing that leverage. When I do this, the forearm has nowhere to go but extend. I don't think I can stop it even if I wanted to.

craftsman 04-25-2013 05:21 PM

Get one of those tension bands.
Set it up in a door or such, preferably at chest height at first.
Set up your body in a full reachback position- weight over left, slightly bent leg...right leg extended back...right arm extended.

Engande your ankles, legs, then hips.
The band should help you with the feel of pulling inward and straight.
Your body will force your arm to extend. After the motions feel normal, you can work on explosivness.

loki993 04-25-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A rod (Post 1966693)
Your back foot should be engaging the hips slightly before the disc is to your right pec, so that the thrusting forward of the trailing hip causes your lower arm to whip.

Once the disc is at the right pec you accelerate your hand through the hit. Think of a backfist or slapping motion about armpit high.

What ultimately helped me learn this timing and throwing motion is pretty simple.

When pulling through, the trailing hip should follow the disc coming across your body as close as possible, like if there was a 5" string from the rear of the disc attached to your rear hip bone. It would be like by pulling the disc across your body, you would be pulling the rear hip with it too, as if it were attached with string.

Maybe that can help you visualize how that pull through acceleration and hip timing is all conjoined

So the pullthrogh and then the snap ant the end are two different motions? Could be my issue I'm trying to make one fluid movement. I went out and threw a little and pulling though and they slapping at the end seemed to help. I didn't get all my distance back, but the disc were flying more like I expected them too, I didn't have the pull my arm out the get distance and I wasn't spraying as much, ,more accurate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsman (Post 1967057)
Get one of those tension bands.
Set it up in a door or such, preferably at chest height at first.
Set up your body in a full reachback position- weight over left, slightly bent leg...right leg extended back...right arm extended.

Engande your ankles, legs, then hips.
The band should help you with the feel of pulling inward and straight.
Your body will force your arm to extend. After the motions feel normal, you can work on explosivness.

Ill try that

craftsman 04-25-2013 10:51 PM

That lil drill actually works better with a person vs a band but you need a person that gets the concept.
Once u get how its supposed to feel, youll see it is one fliud motion...youre transfering energy and from pulling in, the energy transfer will naturally force the arm extension.

discoholic 04-25-2013 11:34 PM

When people talk about reach back, pull through, snap, etc... they are just breaking down the throwing motion. It is just one fluid motion from the back of the tee pad to release and follow through.

If your having trouble with the snap part, try throwing an old school Frisbee. You can't do a full throw with a Frisbee, just the snap part. The way I think about it is; when the disc gets to your right pec snap your elbow then your wrist, like you were snapping a towel.

I recommend that you watch the pros throw on youtube or something and then go to an empty field and try to emulate their style. The field practice is super happy awesome. I still do this, and end up throwing a little farther every time. You will probably get great results.

All said, do what feels comfortable.

loki993 04-26-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoholic (Post 1967608)
When people talk about reach back, pull through, snap, etc... they are just breaking down the throwing motion. It is just one fluid motion from the back of the tee pad to release and follow through.

If your having trouble with the snap part, try throwing an old school Frisbee. You can't do a full throw with a Frisbee, just the snap part. The way I think about it is; when the disc gets to your right pec snap your elbow then your wrist, like you were snapping a towel.

I recommend that you watch the pros throw on youtube or something and then go to an empty field and try to emulate their style. The field practice is super happy awesome. I still do this, and end up throwing a little farther every time. You will probably get great results.

All said, do what feels comfortable.

Thing is what I watch the pros throw the way I see it is they're doing it differently then it seems I'm supposed to be doing. Its where the arm straightens out after the pull. when I watch the video of Avery and Feldberg is doesn't seem like the actually bend their elbow a lot, just enough and then straighten out and throw. Me...if I don't bend my elbow a lot I have no chance of keeping it close the the chest and keeping it online.

Could I be trying to pull too close to my chest? I'm trying to basically get as close to my chest as possible without touching it. Maybe I need to be a little farther out...

Asian Style 04-26-2013 02:27 PM

They all bend. By the time they get their elbow bent, they will be facing more forward, perhaps that is why it looks so straight to you. They are definitely not swinging their arms around their body on a typical throw.

You might be too close to your chest but I would check and make sure you are clearing your hips first.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.