Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Disc suggestions to increase my drive? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88249)

DiscFifty 05-11-2013 06:17 AM

Disc suggestions to increase my drive?

My typical drives during a match are 300-320, with the occasional 350. My official max d is 380. But I'd like to increase my typical drives to 350+.

I've been using 135g Katatas as my main driver. I throw them low and level, during the flight they go very straight, take a very slight fade to the right and end with a slight fade back to the left.

I almost feel I could get more distance with this disc if I throw it with a slight anny and make a large s-curve, but when I try this I don't get as much power in the throw. But for shots less than 300, those s-curves come in handy.

Fwiw, I keep a variety of weights in the kit, heavier for head wind, lighter for tail wind. They all give very similar results.

I tend to stick with a disc for a long period of time, so I've been throwing this disc for about 6 months now and I think it might be time to try something new. Just wondering if there's another disc I should be researching that might give me another 30-50ft? Thanks for any advice. ;)

Jay Dub 05-11-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 1988126)
My typical drives during a match are 300-320, with the occasional 350. My official max d is 380. But I'd like to increase my typical drives to 350+.

I've been using 135g Katatas as my main driver. I throw them low and level, during the flight they go very straight, take a very slight fade to the right and end with a slight fade back to the left.

I almost feel I could get more distance with this disc if I throw it with a slight anny and make a large s-curve, but when I try this I don't get as much power in the throw. But for shots less than 300, those s-curves come in handy.

Fwiw, I keep a variety of weights in the kit, heavier for head wind, lighter for tail wind. They all give very similar results.

I tend to stick with a disc for a long period of time, so I've been throwing this disc for about 6 months now and I think it might be time to try something new. Just wondering if there's another disc I should be researching that might give me another 30-50ft? Thanks for any advice. ;)

I don't have any advice for you, I thought that comment was funny. I have discs in my bag that's been there for over 20 years. :)

DiscFifty 05-11-2013 06:48 AM

lol.. I have old discs as well, I guess I should have said I haven't tried any other discs as my main driver for 6+ months now. ;)

Jay Dub 05-11-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 1988128)
lol.. I have old discs as well, I guess I should have said I haven't tried any other discs as my main driver for 6+ months now. ;)

That is long for me also when it comes to drivers. I want to carry as many as possible but lately have been decreasing my bag size. I think I switch at least one driver in and out of my bag each week.

Colt 05-11-2013 07:32 AM

I would stop using such a light warp speed disc and stick with spd 9 or slower, 160-175. Do thins for awhile then go back to your max d disc and you should be able to add some D. Try a star beast, may be a little stable for you at first but it breaks in nice!

DiscFifty 05-11-2013 01:18 PM

Cheers Jay. ;) Thanks Colt. hmm...you know I thought about doing that as well, use something heavier, work on that, then go back to the lighter discs. But I was just wondering if there was a disc I could use right now that might add some d.

steinkecm 05-11-2013 01:24 PM

Put in the time and the distance will come. Don't look for the "quick fix."

Grab a leopard and work on throwing it on all sorts of lines.

Teebirds are always a good option, too, if you want something more stable. Distance doesn't come from the disc. Distance comes from mechanics. Lower speed discs will allow you to work out all the kinks.

kyledstauffer 05-11-2013 01:43 PM

^^Second this. If there was a disc that would magically increase all of our distance by 30-50 ft...we would all buy it right now. That's why everyone buys the hottest new warp speed shiny, overmolded, blizzard, prodigy, grippy gummy, circle stamped, pearly piece of plastic that comes out hoping that it will be that magic disc for us. The only thing that's really gonna give you more D is field work. Watch some form videos and go out to a field and throw many many times! That said, doesn't hurt to experiment with different stuff just for the heck of it. Teebirds did wonders for my distance.

DiscFifty 05-11-2013 01:49 PM

Good stuff, thx. I was curious if there was a specific disc that I should been testing, but a long term regiment to improve max d is prolly the better course of action at this point. Cheers! :)

craftsman 05-11-2013 02:23 PM

Those low, level drives are a great shot to have but if you want big d youll have to learn to throw higher.