Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Key variables (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90302)

Monkeypaws 06-12-2013 07:21 PM

Key variables
 
As you read through or watch tips and advice on how to throw better, the thing that strikes me is how many variables there are, and how screwing up one of them means a bad shot.

•Grip
•Slow, then fast pull
•landing on heel instead of toe
•follow through
•keeping disc on constant plane through release
•weight shift
•hip rotation
•nose angle
•towel snap vs. wide looping motion
•etc.

Is there a proper order to address these?

Which one is most important?

prhodes 06-12-2013 07:36 PM

In my opinion the towel snap vs. the long loopy throwing motion is probably the most important. After that maybe keeping the disc on a constant plane. All are as you said important to executing a good throw.

DavidInIowa 06-12-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypaws (Post 2035178)
Which one is most important?

Whatever is most important for preventing injury

iacas 06-12-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhodes (Post 2035193)
In my opinion the towel snap vs. the long loopy throwing motion is probably the most important. After that maybe keeping the disc on a constant plane. All are as you said important to executing a good throw.

I would tend to agree. Too many people throw around their bodies.

Here's a thread I started with some on that: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=76528

Colt 06-12-2013 09:59 PM

I don't think you can control your toe or heel pivot, it's kind of a natural follow through thing... Heel piviot seems to be more pronounced in the bean pole type thrower like will or ken

cfair 06-12-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt (Post 2035366)
I don't think you can control your toe or heel pivot, it's kind of a natural follow through thing... Heel piviot seems to be more pronounced in the bean pole type thrower like will or ken

you can control it, just something you have to become conscious of build the muscle memory of it.

GFlicks 06-12-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt (Post 2035366)
I don't think you can control your toe or heel pivot, it's kind of a natural follow through thing... Heel piviot seems to be more pronounced in the bean pole type thrower like will or ken

It's controllable. I went from toe pivot to heel pivot with a week or 2 of practice. Still have some slip ups but I can feel it when I do it now.

cfair 06-12-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypaws (Post 2035178)
As you read through or watch tips and advice on how to throw better, the thing that strikes me is how many variables there are, and how screwing up one of them means a bad shot.

•Grip
•Slow, then fast pull
•landing on heel instead of toe
•follow through
•keeping disc on constant plane through release
•weight shift
•hip rotation
•nose angle
•towel snap vs. wide looping motion
•etc.

Is there a proper order to address these?

Which one is most important?

the unsatisfactory answer is none and all of them. You could say the throw works like a rube Goldberg machine. When it all comes together you say "well, there it goes". But when it stops short you are back at square one and the momentum is lost. So no one part of it is most important... but you have to put it all together.

but if I was going to say one? Follow through. Because if your snap was right the follow through should be right and vice versa... also it is what I am working on most right now.

Monkeypaws 06-12-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfair (Post 2035444)
the unsatisfactory answer is none and all of them. You could say the throw works like a rube Goldberg machine. When it all comes together you say "well, there it goes". But when it stops short you are back at square one and the momentum is lost. So no one part of it is most important... but you have to put it all together.

but if I was going to say one? Follow through. Because if your snap was right the follow through should be right and vice versa... also it is what I am working on most right now.

I almost agree with your premise - my best throws come off with no conscious thought of any variable.

However, that comes from hours on the practice field....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.