Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DGCR Player Rating vs. reality (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92046)

Grinder12000 07-13-2013 04:22 PM

DGCR Player Rating vs. reality

OK - my player rating after 5 rounds us 733 which to me begs the question.

What is the bottom. I doubt there are any 100 players, or 200 or 500?

I would love to see a distribution of DGCR Player Ratings. I know all players ratings are not the say and some people will of course play differently so their vanity rating will be higher.

And many really poor players (500s??) will never actually put in their rounds.

IS there a chart anywhere that anyone has ever seen??

New013 07-13-2013 04:25 PM

There apparently was a guy with a rating below 100. He had a negative round rating and it didn't get dropped.

BigSky 07-13-2013 04:42 PM

There are players in the 600's. That's really poor playing...but they have as good a time as the rest of us.

I would guess that the average rating of DGCR's players is around 850.

KatanaFrenzy 07-13-2013 04:57 PM

I've only played one round below 900

But I would say 850-875 is average for DGCR

JTacoma03 07-13-2013 05:05 PM

The thing about DGCR ratings (I don't have one, I defer to my PDGA rating if asked) would be that it doesn't matter. It only matters what you do in tournaments. Comparing casual round ratings for anything more than entertainment purposes is pointless.

KatanaFrenzy 07-13-2013 05:22 PM

Oh I get the question now. Duh...

My PDGA rating is 956 with only one round under 900. My casual play is no where near how I play tournaments. I don't care as much and I try new things and I rush my shots and putts. But I would say I'm around a 900-920 rated casual player lol.

BogeyNoMore 07-13-2013 05:48 PM

In my case, the DGCR ratings are higher than my PDGA rating. That can be a function of:

1) Some people only enter rounds they are proud of in their scorebook, rather than all rounds (or at least a wide sampling of good/avg/bad rounds) so their PDGA ratings is skewed because it only reflects so the upper end of their abilities, but not necessarily what you can expect from them any given day. Up until now, this was me - I had no real incentive to enter anything close to every round I played.

2) For the most part DGCR Ratings for a given round seem to be relatively congruent with PDGA ratings, but that won't be the case for many courses. For example, I shot even (54) at Firefighters, which is a DGCR 943 rated round. No way in hell a 54 at Fire Fighters gets rated 943 in a sanctioned event. For comparison, I shot a +1 (PDGA rated 837) and a -5 (PDGA rated 899) in the last Sanctioned event there (Fire Fighter's Classic, featuring 6 supplemental holes), but that gives you an idea that a par round there might be rated about 843, not 943.

I'm not knocking the DGCR ratings at all, I'm simply pointing out that they're at least partially based are based on descriptors (heavily, moderately, lightly wooded, hilly vs. flat) and hole distances to approximate the SSA for each course, and two courses could end up with similar SSA's, but generate significantly different scoring distributions because they play quite differently, despite looking quite similar "on paper."

sisyphus 07-13-2013 06:11 PM

My DGCR rating (913) is quite a bit higher than my PDGA (877). I attribute this to a variety of factors.
  • I tend to press a bit too much in tourney play, and am much more relaxed in a casual (and especially a solo) round.
  • I often throw two sets of discs in casual play, to get more practice in, and, well, there's a practice effect on the scores.
  • Many tournament rounds use a different format (extra holes that mean my lower tourney scores often don't figure in my DGCR rating).
  • Tourneys usually have much more strict OB rules, etc.
These are just some of the reasons I can think of off the top of my head... :\

I still think it's a neat feature! :clap:

Curtis_Valk 07-13-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 2080661)
2) For the most part DGCR Ratings for a given round seem to be relatively congruent with PDGA ratings, but that won't be the case for many courses. For example, I shot even (54) at Firefighters, which is a DGCR 943 rated round. No way in hell a 54 at Fire Fighters gets rated 943 in a sanctioned event.

I thought so. I have been playing disc golf since last November and some of my earliest DGCR entries were in the high 600s. My better rounds have since climbed into the low 800s. However, I had my suspicions that my recent 60 (+4) at The Cedars was not worth a 909 rating. Still, it bumped my overall DGCR rating up from 794 to 799 so I'm not complaining!

Curtis

sloppydisc 07-13-2013 06:44 PM

I have never had a rating. I think I am capable of losing to anyone on a given day and course, and once in a greta while I can beat a decent player. I am whatever the definition of inconsistently average is. Unless there is beer involved. Then I am pretty darn good...on the right course.