Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who says lost discs never find their way home? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92444)

scarpfish 07-20-2013 03:26 PM

Who says lost discs never find their way home?

Had an interesting experience during my vacation a couple of weeks ago, the story of which came to a happy conclusion just a hour or so ago with a trip down to the post office.

Two weeks ago today, around 7:30 PM, I was at Clover Dell Park in Sedalia, MO, on the last hole of a long 72 hole filled day. The back nine at this particular course was shall we say minimally maintenanced, and last hole was a long 635' shot that after you got past some early pine trees was open to the pin. I break out my orange P-PD, throw a rudimentary lefty hyzer over the pines, and step out to the side to see around the trees to view where it landed, and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw it hit the ground.

Problem here is the ground here isn't exactly nice even, park quality yet. Still a lot of rutted spots and depressions, with clumped grass, any spot of which your disc could hide in and you'd not see it unless you walked right over it. I searched for about five minutes and with sunset looming, and me still needing to do an hour's drive that evening, I started to get panicky. Then my cell phone rang.

The phone said that the call was from area code 319, and not knowing where that was, I assumed it was a wrong number, but went ahead and answered it. Turns out the call was from a guy from Iowa, who was playing at Lake Hastings in Hastings, NE, and had thrown his disc into a water hazard there. In the process of searching for it, he had found other discs including mine, which I had thrown in that lake last October. A disc that thought that I had thrown it in so deep, that nobody would have found it.

And what was that disc? Lo and behold, it was an orange P-PD, the replacement of which I was now presently looking for in choppy grass. I was rather taken in by the coincidental nature of this. I mean what are the odds? Eventually, I did find my disc and finish the hole.

I told him to text me his name and address, and I'd send him a bubble mailer, which I sent off with some stamps for the return trip and a $3 reward the following Thursday. Today, I got the mailer back with my disc. Here's the original and its replacement, united again. After nine months underwater, the one on the left still looks good.

http://i44.tinypic.com/a1thg0.jpg

So to Andy Endorf from Waterloo, Iowa, a hearty and genuine thank you. The disc golf world could use more guys like you.
:clap:

I might note that this is the third time I've had lost discs returned by mail, and the second time from out of state. This is why I put my name and phone number on them. Doesn't work all the time, or even half the time, but on occasion it does deliver results.

HeavyCritters 07-20-2013 04:42 PM

+1

Awesome story. Awesome ending.

DiscinFiend 07-20-2013 04:50 PM

That's sweet, I'm glad you got your old PD back & found the replacement you were playing with. I agree 100%, always put your name & # on your discs.

BogeyNoMore 07-20-2013 05:43 PM

Thanks for sharing Scarp - glad it found it's way home!
Also I like the class way you made it easy for the Mr. Endorf. :clap:

Personally, I don't get not inking discs once you've decided to bag them (although that really can depend on the courses you decide throw them on - some courses have a much higher/lower risk of disc loss than others).

Once you consider a disc "in your bag," it's probably gonna get through on at least some gnarly holes. If you have a name & # on it, at least there's a reasonable chance of it coming back to you. Chances are someone will find sooner or later (or much later). With a number on it, the chances of you getting it back are based on the whether or not the finder is a bottom feeding scavenger or not... maybe a 20-25% chance??

Go numberless, and you pretty much giving up any shot of getting it back, unless a friend finds it... maybe a 1-2% chance? :rolleyes:

coupe 07-21-2013 10:10 PM

I have to say, in 30-some years of playing, I've NEVER had a lost disc returned to me, and I've never returned a lost disc, (but I HAVE returned plenty of FOUND discs, and had plenty of FOUND disc returned to me) so ...

nope, LOST discs never find their way home. :p:p:p

MikePinchico 07-21-2013 11:12 PM

http://media0.giphy.com/media/WoYwgr...8/original.gif

DirtyMittenDG 07-21-2013 11:52 PM

cool story

_MTL_ 07-22-2013 11:36 AM

A long time ago I used to write on my disc the date I got it.

Had one returned to me this weekend - an Ontario Cobra with a 1998 tournament stamp - and a 5/16/2001 date on the back.

Someone found it a PIAS and got it and gave it to me. One of the crazier disc return stories I've had in a while.

The 2nd disc I lost for more than 10 years and have had returned.

TheArnoldPalmer 07-22-2013 11:57 AM

nice story!
I just lost my favorite disc yesterday playing the new Super White course at lemon lake on I think it was hole 15. Just kicked off a tree and went left into some bushes. had 6-8 people looking and it is gone :(

Hopefully a good soul finds it and gives me a ring for their reward.

scarpfish 07-22-2013 01:22 PM

Just got off the phone with a guy in the Kansas City area who found a disc I lost on vacation. Looks like another disc is coming home. I better start buying bubble mailers in bulk.