Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   To 888 or not to 888....... (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93308)

CaptainAnhyzer 08-04-2013 02:46 PM

To 888 or not to 888.......

Tried to Prerube this but a simple "888" search results in a ton of threads.

Had a player quit during a tournament yesterday.
First round with three holes left to play.
I heard about it thru others on the card.

Not sure what to do. :\

solomon.trenton 08-04-2013 03:02 PM

Was he playing poorly and pulled out due to "injury"? If they quit to protect their rating then its an 888. Seems simple enough to me. If not then 999.

New013 08-04-2013 03:22 PM

you know sometimes people play poorly due to an actual injury....

i'd talk to the guy first to get his side of the story.

JC17393 08-04-2013 03:24 PM

Didn't do you, as the TD, the courtesy of notifying you as to why they quit that late in the round? Seems to me that if there was a legit reason to quit, the group would have known what was up when he left and could tell you. If it was an injury or an emergency (like he got a call that his wife was in labor or something), I can't see how the group wouldn't know what happened. If he just up and quit for no reason (or to preserve his rating, which he likely wouldn't admit), I could see the group not reporting a reason or thinking anything of it.

I'd go 888. But I'm a hard-ass and hate quitters so take that with a grain of salt.

solomon.trenton 08-04-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New013 (Post 2113557)
you know sometimes people play poorly due to an actual injury....

i'd talk to the guy first to get his side of the story.

If he isnt there anymore you cant talk to him. Also with only three holes couldnt you finish the round?

jenb 08-04-2013 03:37 PM

Maybe the player got a call that a family member was hurt or died? Maybe the player has a job of the type that he could be called in in case of emergency?

It's in the rules. Benefit of the doubt goes to the player. If in doubt, 999. Absent smoking gun, 999.

I've had a card mate quit mid round and leave without saying anything at all. It's not unreasonable to think the card would not know why they quit.

JC17393 08-04-2013 03:41 PM

Maybe it's just me, but if I injure myself badly enough that I physically cannot finish a round but not badly enough that I need to be carted off the course or head directly for the ER, I feel I should do the TD the courtesy of letting him know what happened. If that means hanging out for 20-30 minutes for the round to end so I can tell him myself, so be it. I was already planning to be there all day anyway, so it's not like I have somewhere I need to rush off to.

And if I received an emergency call, there's no way my group wouldn't know what happened and why I was leaving. And I wouldn't leave without telling them to tell the TD exactly what was going on.

Johnny_Crunch 08-04-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 2113558)
I'd go 888. But I'm a hard-ass and hate quitters so take that with a grain of salt.

This

jobwilson 08-04-2013 03:52 PM

Go ahead and report it as a 888. If he sees it and wants to disagree, he can always contact you and explain what happened. If his story is legit, you can contact PDGA and they can change the report for you.

It's not your responsibility to chase him down and get his side of the story.

Kursk 08-04-2013 04:15 PM

Even if there was an excuse, there's no excuse for the bad sportsmanship and discourtesy of walking out without even a word to the people you're playing with. 999.