Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whose job is the upkeep? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93890)

fountg 08-14-2013 08:33 PM

Whose job is the upkeep?

Whose job is it to upkeep a course? I ask because once again, there is an issue with my local course. I found out that the course is city property, yet, since apparently I am the only person that ever uses the course, the city has decided to just...let it go? The course is entirely grown up (and not just in an obstacle kind of way..in the way where you HAVE to walk through 2-3 foot tall grass/bushes etc to get to the tee pad) I lost a disc today, and that pissed me off, mainly because it didn't go into a lake, or into deep woods. No, I lost it probably within 10 feet of the basket. (I watched it go down) but the weeds and grass are so grown up I looked for HOURS and couldnt find it(It was that neon orange color too!). I tried to continue my round, but 12 of the 18 holes were practically unplayable! Every throw I made, id have to spend 15 minutes trying to find the disc! So annoying and really ruined the round for me. Then I lost another disc in another group of bushes, got fed up, stopped my game, trimmed up the bushes and pulled the weeds in that area myself for about 45 minutes until I finally found my disc (still never found the first one)

I am very hesitant about continuing to play here if Im going to lose discs constantly because of the lack of upkeep. I would think the city was supposed to do it, but Im guessing they just don't care enough. Am I really going to have to do this myself? Its a ton of work for one person...

pmatt1969 08-14-2013 08:51 PM

It is the cities job to keep the park up, though sometimes groups of players will get together and form a workcrew to do work on a course. But if you are the only one using it I would contact your public works dept and maybe your city counsel member. They should be able to get the situation under control.

fountg 08-14-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmatt1969 (Post 2131023)
It is the cities job to keep the park up, though sometimes groups of players will get together and form a workcrew to do work on a course. But if you are the only one using it I would contact your public works dept and maybe your city counsel member. They should be able to get the situation under control.

Thats what I was thinking. Its just way too much for just me. I estimated today the mowing a weedeating and trimming done to make the course look decent again (and not have the ENTIRE course be a disc losing hazard) would take one person at least 3 or 4 days. Not to mention having to maintain it.. It is waaaaay out of control. I was lucky there was a few holes that run through the main park so they are still maintained.

DavidSauls 08-14-2013 09:03 PM

It might be helpful to know the full story. Some localities have had big budget cuts, and cut back the mowing schedule. You might find they intend to cut once more this summer, which is the best they can do.

Or they might have made the course low-priority and not care about it.

The answer is that there is no answer. Rare, but I've heard of public courses where disc golfers had to do the mowing. I know a lot of them where the city does basic mowing, and disc golfers do everything else.

fountg 08-14-2013 09:09 PM

Well I can definetly say they aren't going to do any maintenence on the course. They still mow the park weekly, but they specifically dont go over into the area with the disc golf course (set a bit aside from the park) I sent an email to the person supposedly over the course to get an official answer, Unfortunatly if it is up to me its just not going to happen. Its too far gone for me to save by myself.

sansho 08-14-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 2131043)
I know a lot of them where the city does basic mowing, and disc golfers do everything else.

This is generally the case with what I've seen.

You said a few holes are playable in the main park, so are they mowing all of the park, besides a good portion of the disc golf course?

If that's the case, you should definitely voice your opinion to the parks department.

DG_Before_Breakfast 08-14-2013 09:12 PM

Ya, the worst thing you could do is call the City all irate over not keeping up your Disc golf course. The City is more likely to just say "screw that" and the course could be pulled. Make sure you are very political in your approach, and like the above poster states, try to get the background first. . My Local course, the City owns the land, upkeeps the portable toilet, parking lot and does some Fire Safety landscape work, but 99% of the course upkeep is the local club's job. They Club and the City have had up and down relationships over the years, but right now it is quite good. The City gets some things out of it, and so does the Club. For example, the City needs a place to dump big Trees that fall down, the Club needs big trees to act as borders on the Out of Bounds. They let the city dump their trees, and the golfers discs don't go out of bounds as much.

fountg 08-15-2013 10:59 AM

I sent an intial email, basically something along the lines of "I have recently noticed that the disc golf portion of the park has not been maintained, and wanted to inquire as to if/when that would done, or how I would go about requesting that be done" etc. I got an email back this morning with "(Email/Name redacted)-This is the manager over the maintenece of that park, you can contact them personally, but I have already let them know of your email and the situation" So I emailed the guy, just as a heads up about the situation, (and to make sure he WAS actually informed...) so now im just hoping for a reply from the man himself.

DavidSauls 08-15-2013 11:08 AM

Well done.

I hope it pans out. One or two mowings, and they should be done until late spring.

DeadEye 08-15-2013 12:05 PM

The course probably never gets used because its so overgrown. Let the guy in charge of upkeep now regular mowing will keep people more likely to use the course. Thank him for whatever help you get, and keep a good relationship with him. You'll have someone to go to if you have any more issues.