Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Losing Plastic (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95499)

Flip Hyzerman 09-16-2013 11:45 PM

Losing Plastic

Does anyone else get really bummed about losing discs? It seems like every time I lose one (and I lost TWO tonight) I think to myself 'I don't even want to play right now'. Obviously, disc loss happens during DG - it's a fact of life that every disc you like will quite likely be lost or forgotten at some time. So how do you guys battle the frustration of losing a disc? Buy more? Stop playing for awhile?

It's quite literally my least favorite thing about DG.

BogeyNoMore 09-16-2013 11:50 PM

I think most players hate losing discs, but how much really depends on the individual disc, how expendable that particular disc is to your game, and obviously, how hard/costly it will be to replace it.

IMO, how well you deal with it says something about you.

Kodachrome 09-16-2013 11:54 PM

Honestly, losing a disc seriously pisses me off. Puts me in a funk for the rest of my round, quite possibly my day. I don't have a lot of money to throw around. All my "play" money goes to disc golf. I also dye most of my discs, and it is a very time consuming procedure. The idea of some ****head walking around with a disc I spent *hours* looking for really gets me going.

I deal with it by playing at least one more round of disc to finish on a good note and then reevaluate my bag. I inevitably wind up using a different disc to cover the same shot for the most part, and get to know my other discs better. However, my axis is indispensable when I need a fairway driver distance with no fade, some wind handling ability on a flat line drive...and I lost it. Fuse certainly could not cover that shot. My rival is pretty close, but not as much control...

At some point the bag evaluation stops and I figure out whether or not I needed that disc. If I did, I buy another like it. Honestly I used to have way more discs. Losing the extras helped consolidate my bag as I learned more about the ones I still had. :)

nolangherity 09-16-2013 11:56 PM

i dont like losing my discs because i know someones gonna love finding my sweet ****.

if i was finding tensors and tangents in the weeds i wouldn't care, but everyone else seems to lose trash.

BigGAC1 09-17-2013 12:02 AM

I hate losing discs as well! Today I had a disc returned to me and then promptly turned around and lost it on the following round. Really pissed me off! I actually played great, but still went home feeling beat just because I lost a piece of plastic I liked...

DaddyTookTeebirdAway 09-17-2013 12:04 AM

Losing discs bums me out enough that it often takes precedence over my score. I could play my best round ever but if I lost a disc I'm coming home pissed off. Conversely, after playing an awful round, I often think to myself, "At least I didn't lose any discs today." A successful round is returning home with all my discs.

Grungedude42 09-17-2013 12:06 AM

Each time I throw a disc, I'm mentally prepared to lose it. I may not be, you know, ecstatic about it, but it doesn't wreck my day. I was really bummed about losing my go-to lime Volt (which I had bought for myself as a birthday present last November right on launch weekend) a month ago. But, now I get to start a new one all over again, and it didn't take long to click with my pinkie.

Honestly, I get more bummed about retiring a disc. I finally put my two ace discs on the wall, along with my first two discs I had back in college. I did replace them really well though, the new ones fly just like my old ones. I guess it's cool to see them on the wall each time I go in the garage, and I'd really hate to lose them. But still, they flew so nice for those two throws.

Stardoggy 09-17-2013 12:07 AM

It all comes around. I find more discs than I lose...even after returning all the discs with numbers on them (and giving away a few more to newbs), I had enough left over to trade for some new DGA straps the other day.

BTW, why does everyone seem to lose Champ Starfires? I've found three of them in the last 6 weeks.

mashnut 09-17-2013 12:08 AM

At this point, I throw all easily replace-able discs (except for beat rocs and wizards so I've built up backup stacks of those) and I've lost something like 70 discs in the last 10 years. It's just plastic, I can easily put another one in the bag that will perform just as well.

MrGlass01 09-17-2013 12:10 AM

Bums me out for a bit, but means I get new plastic! But for a long time when I pass where I lost a disc I pause and have a moment of silence for a lost friend.