Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Labrum Surgery and Disc Golf (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97587)

discgolfer25 11-04-2013 04:08 PM

Labrum Surgery and Disc Golf

So, I am a college baseball player and a disc golfer. I tore my labrum pitching and had surgery on July 12th. I have begun to start lightly tossing and started a baseball throwing program and have been following my protocol to a T. But I realized that there is no protocol on how to get back into disc golf. I was a fairly competitive intermediate player before my surgery and threw forehand 98% of the time. Does anybody have any experience in coming back from labrum and rotator cuff surgery and getting back into disc golf?

JC17393 11-04-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discgolfer25 (Post 2227515)
So, I am a college baseball player and a disc golfer. I tore my labrum pitching and had surgery on July 12th. I have begun to start lightly tossing and started a baseball throwing program and have been following my protocol to a T. But I realized that there is no protocol on how to get back into disc golf. I was a fairly competitive intermediate player before my surgery and threw forehand 98% of the time. Does anybody have any experience in coming back from labrum and rotator cuff surgery and getting back into disc golf?

I have zero experience with this, but I would think that once you're 100% cleared for baseball (no limitations, no setbacks), you should be good to go for disc as well. Best bet is to talk to your doctor or your trainer/physical therapist to find out if there is anything more you should be doing in your rehab protocol to account for throwing discs. My guess is anyone here with experience rehabbing their shoulder to disc golf shape did so with a rehab regime set up with throwing discs in mind, so their advice will come from that experience.

BraveThrower43 11-04-2013 04:23 PM

I kinda do. I was a College Shot putt and Discus Thrower and found disc golf when I was in my Rehab from Labrum/Rotator cuff surgery. It seems that my skill in all things that I did came back with solid rehab and time but you're never going to be 100% what you were and you will also have some minor soreness and pain. Just follow your rehab and slowly come back into the game as the trainers allow you to come back in baseball. The stronger you are from your rehab the better it will all be.

DavidSauls 11-04-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discgolfer25 (Post 2227515)

I do---from a torn labrum.

But I don't know how helpful it will be. First of all, it seems torn labrums vary greatly in severity and recovery times. Secondly, I was twice your age.

I tore mine at age 44---11 years ago---probably the fault of baseball, which I'd coached for decades. There's no pitch count on throwing batting practice, and I figured I was throwing 1000 pitches a week. Anyway, I was in a sling for 3 weeks, didn't throw a disc at all for 4 months, didn't throw full speed for 7. Eventually I was back to my same ole' mediocre self. My brother had surgery for torn labrum, and was throwing baseballs 10 days later. Go figure.

Here's an act of faith in this story. While my arm was still in a sling from the surgery, my brother and I bought some land with the plans to build a private disc golf course. That's faith in a surgeon.

discgolfer25 11-04-2013 07:08 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to talk to my PT and my surgeron and see if I can at least start putting again. I've also never truly learned a backhand and I am wondering which one will be easier on my shoulder. As I have learned, you basically have to relearn how to throw a baseball again and it probably will be that way with disc to so there isn't a better time than now too relearn a backhand. It was a moderate tear with 3 anchors and some rotator cuff tearing and surgeon is confident I can be throwing off a mound again in about 3 months but I am probably going to take it easy and redshirt this season and I will also take it easy with disc golf.

mashnut 11-04-2013 07:13 PM

I'd bring in videos of full strength forehand and backhand drives so the doctor gets a real idea of what types of motions you're talking about, they likely don't have as good a handle on that as they would with more mainstream sports.

Monocacy 11-04-2013 07:19 PM

I would encourage you to do a couple of things. First, talk to your surgeon and physical therapist about exercises to strengthen your shoulder for disc golf. I never had surgery on my shoulder, but my physical therapist got pretty excited about learning the muscles used in a disc golf throw.

Second, I encourage you to learn backhand. Done properly (i.e., no strong-arming), backhand is way easier on the shoulders compared with forehand.

General advice - wait until you think you are ready to come back, and then wait a little longer . . .

Good luck!

DavidSauls 11-04-2013 07:49 PM

You have the great advantages of youth, presumably good trainers, and being strong and a good athlete to begin with. Best of luck.

Heed the advice to show the doctors and trainers some videos. The backhand throw, in particular, is probably different than any motion they're expecting, unless you bat opposite the way you throw. They may imagine a gentle Frisbee toss on the beach.

This brings back memories. I got the OK and started throwing 10'. A week later, 15'. It felt sooooo good just to be throwing something after a long layoff. I remember being terribly happy when I reached 50', where the throws had a little bit of snap to them. Small pleasures.

ru4por 11-04-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashnut (Post 2227770)
I'd bring in videos of full strength forehand and backhand drives so the doctor gets a real idea of what types of motions you're talking about, they likely don't have as good a handle on that as they would with more mainstream sports.

This is the best idea. If you work with your physical therapist to develop a therapy plan with both pitching and discing in mind it will pay. The two throws can be very different if a backhand player. Good luck.

medic5888 11-04-2013 08:26 PM

I also am about to find this out, the doctors are trying to hold off on surgery for me, I have a torn hip labrum. This injury was caused 100% by my throwing motion he tells me. I have to lay off disc golf for a few weeks which is torture. Good luck with getting healthy I hope to be back playing soon