Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where do you throw? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97683)

JcBook 11-06-2013 09:41 AM

Where do you throw?
 
I see a lot of people say how far they can throw. Where do you go to throw and how do you measure it?

I'm looking for some ideas. Currently I'm not sure how far I throw and I can't find a open football field in my area.

joshuajames 11-06-2013 09:45 AM

the local soccer field. It is marked off nicely and i can shoot for the nets!

Or go to your local course, where there is a level, open, shot and measure how far short or long you are from the basket.

Kenny53691 11-06-2013 09:48 AM

there are a few GPS apps for smartphones that may work. I see quite a few people post pics of apps like these, but I was never confident with the measurement that it gave me. Could just be a poor gps location.

slvravn 11-06-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuajames (Post 2229736)
the local soccer field. It is marked off nicely and i can shoot for the nets!

Or go to your local course, where there is a level, open, shot and measure how far short or long you are from the basket.

I will have to second soccer fields since I throw on them all the time.

Smigles 11-06-2013 10:05 AM

American football field. Great with lines every 20 meters. Helps judging distance.

reposado 11-06-2013 10:06 AM

if youre not a big arm, a baseball field is nice. you should be able to find a high school level field with a fence around 330 feet away. is tee off from im usually close enough to the fence that i can estimate from there

DavidSauls 11-06-2013 10:06 AM

If you have a course with fairly open, level holes of about your drive length, you can measure your drives against them. Making the assumption, of course, that they're measured correctly.

You can also measure your pace against a known distance, and then pace off the open area where you're throwing.

It won't be exact, but there are no awards for precision in this category, anyway.

bradharris 11-06-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny53691 (Post 2229738)
there are a few GPS apps for smartphones that may work. I see quite a few people post pics of apps like these, but I was never confident with the measurement that it gave me. Could just be a poor gps location.

Cell phone GPS likely isn't very effective. It varies by location, but usually the error margin is pretty large compared to the distance of a throw.

thrembo 11-06-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slvravn (Post 2229748)
I will have to second soccer fields since I throw on them all the time.

Soccer fields for the win! My home course has a lot of soccer fields that are only used at very specific times. Mostly they sit vacant and we use them to warm up. They are larger than a football field, and easy to mark distance on.

Scared_Discless 11-06-2013 10:29 AM

No uses these anymore?

http://www.bookofjoe.com/images/2007/12/21/vjvhbkhb.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.