Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Handicapping the Course (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97805)

cjrogus 11-08-2013 06:28 PM

Handicapping the Course

I'm in my senior year of college in my Math Education Degree and need to do a capstone project. I have chosen to handicap my home course and as result will be complying as many rounds between as many people as possible in the next couple of months. By averaging out the scores on a per hole basis I will be able to see which hole is the hardest, and second hardest, and so on.

The real question is has anyone ever played a disc golf course where the holes had been handicapped. Did you enjoy seeing the order of holes from easiest to hardest or did it not even matter?

sonny 11-08-2013 08:10 PM

One of the amazing features of this web site is the Scorebook function. These stats you mention are available for courses with recorded rounds. The data is more fun at some courses than others but it's some pretty cool stuff.

People who use the Scorebook here on DGCR not only have the fun of their own personal stats, but also provide fun for other number geeks. If you ever thought it would be cool to have stats on your game and the courses you play, I'm here to tell you it's worth the effort of keeping hole by hole scores in your Scorebook. Record every round - good and bad - and you'd be amazed what a season of data can tell you.

sisyphus 11-08-2013 08:28 PM

^^^This :thmbup:
I just entered my 1003rd round in my score book. As a premium member, I can pull up charts and stats that show my monthly average round of 18 holes dropping by about eight strokes over my first two years' playing.

Of course, analyzing a course is interesting if a variety of folks obsess like I do about entering the details. Unfortunately my home course has about 300 rounds entered. 220 of those are mine, so the data are skewed to my skill level...:(

DavidSauls 11-08-2013 10:14 PM

I've done it for almost every tournament at our course, and sliced and diced the numbers any number of ways beyond just the average scores. And I'm not the first or most thorough to do so.

Beyond averages, note which holes are most likely to be birdied, or bogeyed; which ones have the most oft-repeated score, and which ones have the least-frequent most-common score. Sort them by skill levels. Lots of fun!

iacas 11-08-2013 11:22 PM

Note that if you're actually "handicapping" holes, you don't really want to determine the hardest, easiest, etc. holes, you'll want to determine the holes where the poorer player is most likely to need strokes.

For example, in golf most par fives are the lower handicap holes (so players get strokes on them soonest - the #1 handicap hole is first, and so on) because for lower handicap players, they're likely to par or birdie, while poorer golfers are likely to bogey. So those are the holes they "need" strokes on the most.

Par threes (in golf, again) usually are the higher # handicap holes because all players struggle on par threes and average about four - so the 18 handicapper doesn't need strokes from a 9 handicapper on those holes, typically.

ballardthedome 11-08-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonny (Post 2233792)
One of the amazing features of this web site is the Scorebook function. These stats you mention are available for courses with recorded rounds. The data is more fun at some courses than others but it's some pretty cool stuff.

OMG! Had no idea that function was available on this site. Had all my rounds entered into UDisc, so just went thru and added them all to the Scorebook. That's so freaking cool!

cjrogus 11-10-2013 10:37 PM

Unfortunately Poor House only has around 15 scores on the score book on here. I would love to see what holes the players generally need strokes on compared to my individual stats. Being someone who throws both fh and bh proficiently I can't vouch for how difficult a hard dogleg right is when I can just toss a forehand around it without a problem. Hole 18 is 420ft and around 100 or so ft downhill and hard right. Easy for a fh, extremely hard for a backhand to get the right angle. So far I'm surprised by some of the numbers.