Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PDGA Updates Best Ever Rated Rounds (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98724)

Allurex 11-28-2013 09:47 PM

PDGA Updates Best Ever Rated Rounds
 
Per this announcement, the PDGA Top 10 Rated Rounds has been updated, including each of the various SSA Ranges.

Full list here.


Paul McBeth shot 3 rounds this year that top the various SSA Ranges-
- SSA 48-53.99 with a 1132 (39) at Fountain Hills
- SSA 60-65.99 with a 1121 (45) at Maple Hill Gold
- SSA 66+ with a 1094 (52) at Winthrop Gold

timj5304 11-28-2013 10:07 PM

Just my opinion but the fountain hills should be rated 1094, USDGC should be 1121 and Maple Hill should be rated 1132 as the best round of alltime.

Khao Pra 11-28-2013 10:10 PM

kind of surprised that geoff lissaman didn't make the list with his -17 on 18 holes at rum village park during the 96 worlds in south bend.

Cgkdisc 11-28-2013 10:35 PM

"All-time" started in 1998. No ratings before that for the moment.

Cgkdisc 11-28-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timj5304 (Post 2258894)
Just my opinion but the fountain hills should be rated 1094, USDGC should be 1121 and Maple Hill should be rated 1132 as the best round of alltime.

What's more impressive, ball player who bats .410 for the season (~150 games) or .425 for 50 games? They are similar but different stat categories and each impressive in their own right.

Allurex 11-28-2013 11:01 PM

Yeah this list shows why it's really hard to compare rounds from courses that are so different.

mullethead326 11-29-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allurex (Post 2258930)
Yeah this list shows why it's really hard to compare rounds from courses that are so different.

With this in mind... Chuck, I know that when rounds are computed, the number of holes in the round is a factor in how much weight the round rating carries in the player rating. Is there, or have you considered, using SSA in similar fashion? i.e.

1000 over 18 holes is weighted less than 1000 over 24 holes...

So could the formula be written so that 1000 over SSA = 50 is weighted less than 1000 over SSA = 60?

Cgkdisc 11-29-2013 08:53 PM

Doesn't work that way. A 1000 rating is the score that a 1000 rated player would average on the course whether 18 holes or 24 holes. It's kind of like trying to compare HS, college and NBA basketball players who all average sinking exactly 40% of their 3-pt shots for the season. The average game time, distance for the 3-pt shots and number of games are different at each level but they all average 40% made. The NBA player stats would seem to be more impressive. What percentage for a college player would be equivalent to NBA 40%? 42%? 45%? 47%?

mullethead326 11-29-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cgkdisc (Post 2259626)
Doesn't work that way. A 1000 rating is the score that a 1000 rated player would average on the course whether 18 holes or 24 holes. It's kind of like trying to compare HS, college and NBA basketball players who all average sinking exactly 40% of their 3-pt shots for the season. The average game time, distance for the 3-pt shots and number of games are different at each level but they all average 40% made. The NBA player stats would seem to be more impressive. What percentage for a college player would be equivalent to NBA 40%? 42%? 45%? 47%?

My case is that on higher-SSA courses, it's often more difficult to achieve an exceptionally high rating because each stroke ends up being worth less, not to mention that each player is responsible for successfully executing more strokes. It seems like weighting by SSA could account for that a little better. I don't really have a mathematical model or adjustment to the ratings system, but there's a general consensus that not all 1100s, or even 1000s, are created equal.

timj5304 11-29-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cgkdisc (Post 2258921)
What's more impressive, ball player who bats .410 for the season (~150 games) or .425 for 50 games? They are similar but different stat categories and each impressive in their own right.


A more comparable stat is saying playing fountain hills is like hitting high school pitching, playing maple hill is like college pitching and winthrop gold is against major league pitching. I am shocked that someone hadnt already done that at fountain hills


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.