View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Gotcher View Post
If you use crushed stone you will still have erosion and rut problems....but you will eliminate the mud issue. These type of natural tees with gravel/limestone/crush & run, etc. do require regular maintenance to smooth out the teeing surface. Don't knock the carpet idea without giving it a try. Hawk Hollow is the first place I saw carpet utilized as a tee pad and it works perfectly with no erosion issues at all. See images below from Hawk Hollow:

I agree with most crushed stone. The blue driveway mix we use requires a light raking only once a season. This is only on the pads that have direct sunlight, which is maybe 7 pads. In the past 5 years I have had to apply maybe a yard and a half of mix. I could easily do concrete, but the blue stuff is better in so many ways for a private course. For a public course you would need someone to go through once a month, but it is easy work. You have to time it with the weather. Wait till its nice and dry. Rake and level the day before a rain. The rain will pack it down and it will turn to a hard surface in less than a couple hours.