View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Designing Harder “GREENS”

Hi Everyone,

I am a new course designer in the West Central Wisconsin/East Central Minnesota area. I am currently working on expanding Somerset DGC form its current 10 hole layout to a full 18. The original course designer and I are designing the course to cater to all ability levels (it may not have a true “Gold Level” layout but it will be close). I currently have a thread discussing the Expansion of the course but would like to make the focus of this thread be on designing harder GREENS, not only for this course, but for all course’s.

This topic has been discussed on this site before but I wanted to make a thread that is geared just for GREEN DESIGN.

Two threads that come to mind…. Good Putting Areas and when is Par 3 no longer realistic

I am a snowboard park designer in the winter and also went to school for visual effects and motion graphics. I like to design both on the computer and with my hands. I think I have an eye for designing things I am passionate about. I will look to my experience with designing freestyle snowboard parks and appealing graphics to assist me in my disc golf course design. I have a true passion for this sport and want to make it better any way I can.

My observation of most current course greens…

They are too easy. What I mean is there are very few greens that provide risk/reward i.e. rollaway/fast greens, elevated/lowered pin placement, obstacles inside the circle, water in play and or other things that will challenge higher level players. In my opinion this needs to change and I will be focusing on this in all of my current and future course designs.

I have the opportunity to actually make some greens for Somerset through landscaping i.e moving earth, cutting down/planting trees, elevated/recessed greens, adding hazards such as walls or sand traps and anything else I can come up with.

The questions for you are….

What do you like to see in a challenging green?

What other elements do you think could potentially be incorporated into a green? (Think outside the box the sky is the limit)

Anything else you think will make greens better and more challenging is far game.

I would really like to get people to post pictures of the best greens they have played. Or if you have design skills feel free to design a green in your design program of choice. I will be doing some design ideas for greens in the next few weeks and will post them in this thread for feedback. The more images and ideas we can post here the better this thread will be as a resource to all course designers…

Thanks, Erik

Last edited by E_Rock25; 11-01-2011 at 05:58 PM.