View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Something some designers always seem to forget or not be aware of especially those with a traditional ball golf background:

we are not ball golf....not even remotely close to ball golf. Our hole is suspended in the air (basket is not in the ground like a ball golf hole) Our disc moves through the air and is not rolling on the ground.....therefore we have far more options to make a green interesting. Obstacles to move around and between are the equivalent of the undulating ball golf green. A dense bunch of trees or a large boulder or structure that requires a difficult shot out are our punishing ball golf sand trap. A steep slope acts just like a sloped green in ball golf....tempting you to go for it or play safe and lay up. We can also put baskets close to water, elevate them, block off access from one angle, and countless other creative things that influence the way you approach the basket......quite simply we have more options than ball golf and should embrace that.

I can't understand why players think ball golf greens are more interesting....it's not really the case with the courses I play....maybe I am spoiled.