View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
yeah...theres this one particular player who throws sidearm and errantly flips his shot so far left at a high speed that I cringe as it rips past a seldom used walking path that is at 9 O clock from the tee....it amazes me and terrifies me at the same time

The problem is high speed discs and what they are capable of....these are making safe design practically impossible

This is actually a very interesting point. While we love all of the high speed this and that, do we really need it to have fun playing disc golf? I think that sometimes the very discs we play with are a detriment to the expansion of the game: trees, people, etc get hit and hurt by the discs. What if there was a different way where we could have as much fun ripping plastic but there was little to no detriment to the environment or people? In addition, less space is needed for courses since the discs don't fly as far...which equates to it being easier to design and implement more courses! Could be good for the game. Now, the disc manufacturers aren't going to like it. Heck, most players won't like it, but it could be a solution for places like here in the bay area where neighbors and such have been up in arms rallying against the discs themselves as a safety/environmental hazard. Could be interesting....