View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thanks for the reply's David! I admire your course and hear you loud and clear on much of what you said.

The bit about the organic design is very inline with my design principals. I was lucky enough to study a good bit of landscape design long before I was into disc golf and have very much enjoyed learning the flow of the landscape on the 5 or 6 courses I have designed with tone poles in the west. Of those only two really came to be played much and one still exists but from this experience I have learned the thrill of design is discovery.

Having a somewhat blank slate in terms of forest to hack through is at the same time inspiring and a bit daunting in terms of labor. I expect many holes which do not have old logging roads or other clearings as a bassis to begin as very tigh technical lines until I get a handle of the overall master plan. This way I can have a course to play on without committing to anything right away.

What I have learned is to find the 3,4,5,6 amazing holes on the property, and then find good ways of filling in the gaps. It sounds derogatory to the rest of the holes but using this method I have found the landscape will still provide for sound holes if explored thoroughly most of the time.

At my most successful temp/tone course which is still played the best hole on the course was the last one found, squeezed into an unused area in order to accommodate the loss of another hole due to high water. The landscape provides