Thread: Measuring Tapes
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkious View Post
Some people carry tape measures, largely to get disc out of trees. I was reading the rules trying to figure out if it is legal. Here is what I found in 802.04:

This makes it sound like having a measuring tape that is over 10m is illegal: "The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited."

However, this makes it sound like a measuring tape of any length is legal as long as you don't use it to measure a distance greater than 10m: Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

How do all of you read this?
I read it the same way you do. Any tape measure is fine, but don't use it to measure beyond ten meters.

The intent of the rule is to prevent players from getting out a tape measure to figure out just how far they have to go to reach the pin because that would majorly slow down play. But for borderline putting circle calls, the distance can be measured quickly to determine if a jump putt is legal or not.