View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 114
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmgee View Post
Kirkwood will always have a special place in my heart, and it didn't get a 5 star rating from me either.

Both are mountain courses though, so you could say that I am a little biased in that regard.

I gave Turtle rock park a 5 star rating because I think it is that nice. It is a great course. It was the first review I wrote (I think) for this site and I could have been more thorough. I don't think course-wise it is as appealing as kwood or birds, but has all the amenities that a 5 star course should.
See now I felt different. I like Turtle Rock all right, but not near enough to give it a 5. I think that amenities are just extra toppings on a course. I rate courses off of their design and flow. Amenities are maby a half a point in my book. And Turtle Rock didn't have some of the great amenities that Birds does, like drinking water available around the course. Sure it has signs and rubber tee pads (which I don't like as they get slick with a little rain), but that's not enough to make me want to give it a 5. A lot of holes felt the same, or close enough to other holes that I had played elsewhere, that I didn't give it a lot on the creativity of the design. I want to play Turtle Rock again though before I review it. When I played it me and some friends had camped out there that night after playing Reno Adventure Park during the day. The ground in the spot we got to camp in was super rocky, and none of us brought an air mattress, so none of us were able to sleep during the night. Finally at about 4:20 in the morning we decided to get up and sit in my car with the heater on and smoke and drink our way through the rest of the night. As soon as the sun was up enough to see what we were doing, we went out and busted out the course. I wasn't overly impressed. I think if I were to rate it right now I would give Turtle Rock the 4 and Birds the 5. Just my opinion.

Last edited by humchris85; 08-24-2012 at 03:12 PM.