View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcastillo17 View Post
As a TD, this is something that I always try to avoid as much as possible. I don't particularly care to play with ams in a tournament round. But sometimes it is unavoidable. For example, a full tournament with 90 players on an 18 hole course (meaning a fivesome on each hole), the divisions don't always shake out to be equally divisible by 5. When I'm presented with the situation (for the first round anyway), of course I will mix pro divisions to try and resolve it, but if it still doesn't work out evenly, I hand pick an advanced player that I know has proper etiquette and will not upset the group. Under no circumstances will I ever mix players on the same card that are throwing from different tees, and never a lower division than MA1. That would be a nightmare and certainly unfair to all players on the card, the am included.
And, FYI, yes, this is what I meant. I don't plan any type of "shuffled-up" randomly mixed divisions. But when our event can't fill, and we're having to take last minute sign-ups, we can only make the cards so pure. I do look at ratings and the like, and hopefully for local events I know someone I can say quickly will you play with the pro card or the am card or the rec card or whatever to make things work. But I wasn't talking about planned mixed cards. Haven't done it, haven't seen it in my short DG career, and don't really have an opinion on that. I am an MG1 and have been the one that had to run with an MPG card, and locally that's not been a problem, at least that I know, for them. I've also been in one of those tourneys where the late sign-ups caused some mixed cards, and when there were 13 MG1s the TD asked me to have my card take 2 Rec players the first round. Even though they were playing different tees, I believe they were treated well by us.