* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thumbs up Built a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
mr ericj.
I went with formufit for the fittings only. the piping came from lowes. bundle of 5 5' sections for 8-10bucks.
no sag under the weight I currently have on them and I don't think it would be an issue at 30"
No adhesive used. I actually expanded it by three levels so adhesive would have been a death trap...
I may have shrunk the uprights from 10 to 9 inches but I don't think it would have made a tremendous amount of difference in the overall..
any more questions, feel free to pm me
Thanks for the input and inspiration here... I just finished up two racks: a large one for myself and a smaller one for a friend.
  • 1.25" fittings from USPlastic.com
  • 1.25" schedule 40 10' pipe from Home Depot
  • Risers: 9-1/16"
  • Lengths: 29-15/16"
  • Depths: 5"
Total cost (material, tax, shipping) for the 4x1 shelf was $74, for the 8x2 shelf was $202. The album linked below has pictures of the spreadsheets with complete cost breakdowns.

Full picture album here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1067013...10/PVCDiscRack

Some lessons learned...
  • USPlastics.com was the least expensive site I could find for 1.25" furniture grade PVC fittings.
  • Schedule 40 PVC pipe is 3-4x cheaper than furniture grade pipe, and easily sufficient for this purpose.
  • Making the length segments ~30" works very nicely with 5' or 10' pipe segments.
  • You're going to be cutting a lot of pipe, I made almost 150 cuts. A decent mitre saw makes this really fast and easy. Be sure to account of the width of the blade when measuring and cutting.
  • Making the risers ~9" (vs. 10" as others have done) is sufficient to provide 0.5" clearance on the largest 9" diameter discs and will save you overall height.
  • On schedule-40 pipe there will usually be an ugly line of printing, when assembling make sure you orient the pipe such that the printing is facing the back so it won't show.
  • Assemble all the horizontal shelves first, then put the risers in one level at a time and build your way up.
  • No adhesive necessary, and probably a bad idea anyway if you want to expand later. The fittings are plenty snug on their own, in fact you'll probably want to use a rubber mallet to get the pieces all flush.
No weather stripping on mine for now, not convinced I need it yet.

Last edited by ERicJ; 09-21-2012 at 02:51 AM.