View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
I saw you were considering playing The Oaks - save yourself the boredom. The course is mostly 300-range hyzers around mature oaks. After a while you forget what hole you're on because everything is the same. Beautiful park though.

When you're down there, I would recommend playing Highland Park, Trinity Links, West Park (if you're into the old school courses), Channahon, and Round Barn. Hopefully Round Barn will have tee signs installed by then, otherwise print a map and hole info (for distances) to aid in navigation. It's a new course and not really easy to follow without signs. Those courses should keep you busy.
Highland is the best of that group; by far. Grey Fox; (depending on what buckets are in) long is comparable to Highland from a toughness/enjoyment stand point.

Summitt offers a very unique "pin ball" round.

The original at UW is comparable to Trinity or West, good old school style. Oaks as good as Trinity; but it is repetitious in a beautiful park. You also can not smoke cigs, or drink, there or, be under penalty of a big fine; if that is a consideration.

So, Joilet offers more options; and Highland is a very fine course, that I have pretty high on my favorites. Have not played Round Barn, but, from what I've heard, it's probably the second best of the area; after Highland.

Last edited by tallpaul; 09-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.