View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
20', 10'.. that may be a bit much, but a designated area behind the disc could offer the opportunity to shoot before your lie with follow-through is what I'm talking about.

It just seems that since the sport has become more and more competitive, people are pushing the rules harder too. Therefore rules must become stricter and more defined....

HENCE THIS DISCUSSION where people are allowed to have varying opinions allowing other options to be considered in rulings.
I'm all for this discussion, of the rules and hypothetical alternative rules.

I'm just "proofing" your suggestion by testing it against hypothetical issues it would encounter. When I float the idea of doing away with falling putts and the 10-meter circle altogether, I expect others will point out potential drawbacks to my idea. And they always do. Nothing personal. The test of an idea is putting it through the ringer and seeing how it comes out. The tendency is for a suggestion that solves one problem, but inadvertantly creates others.

So a designated area behind the lie from which you could throw, and have room to follow-through (staying behind the lie), begs the question of how big the designated area would be, how easy it would be to judge whether a player hit it, and how much players might try to abuse it.