View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudiablo View Post
ratings are 'over rated' in my opinion. Unless you play in rated tournaments at unfamiliar courses your rating will be ballooned. You can get a local guy who only plays courses in their home town, so their rating would appear higher than if they were to travel and play courses that they don't know the 'local lines.'

Ratings are also based on how many people you beat in a given round. So someone could absolutely dominate at a long 'links' type course, but really struggle in a tight technical course. Are you suggesting that they play in different divisions based on the course, and not not go by their rating?
I don't think ratings vary greatly between home-course players and traveling players. They might for a player who's game fits his home course, such as a long thrower who only plays his long open home course. But by-and-large, I look at results among players who play lots of courses, and they don't shoot much higher ratings on their own courses than when on the road.

Ratings are not based on how many people you beat in a given round.

Whether they're "over-rated" depends on who's rating the ratings. I find them the best system for dividing players into divisions by skill that I've seen, and certainly a vast improvement over the system that preceded them.