View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 24
Good thread. Since there are three main parts of game: driving, approaches and putting. Logically on par 3 holes, excellent driving results in makeable birdies so approaches are used when a drive is not optimal as well on par 4 or higher holes.

Agree about importance of accuracy first then distance for driving. I remember clearly watching a group of Open players, one of them is 1035 rated player (JohnE McCray) and other three are like around 980 to 990 rated players. The biggest difference between JohnE and the other three (they all can throw pretty far) is that JohnE keeps hitting the lines (very good aiming/control) while others are not consistent. It is true that JohnE also have better putting game but the big key is hitting the lines consistenly.

In analysis of my game, my overall PDGA rating is 920 and in breaking down into three parts, I would say that my putting game is around maybe 960 or so and my approaches are perhaps 940's and my driving is perhaps around 910 or under. I can only drive up to around 280-300 feet with max power (with Volt/PD drivers) but the problem with max power is that I lose control/consistency so I have to throw around 80% power to get better control/consistency but my drives would end up around 250-270 feet.

So in my case, major boost to my game would be extra driving distance (say extra 50-75 feet or so) while maintaining 80% power (thus still have good control/consistency). I now play at Turkey Lake in Orlando on daily basis and I would love to break course record but I will have to have extra distance in driving because from the blue (long) pad on T2 course, most par 3 holes are over 300 feet (and quite tight with trees).

I knew I am capable of driving Volt/PD drivers at least 350+ consistently with 80% power but I still have not found the right timing/coordination/snap to make it happen. I still try to do self-teaching but still not effective yet, so I'll would be happy to pay someone good money to help me achieve my goal in driving!