View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
I agree with the sentiment that players seem to expect more from tournaments as a sense of entitlement. Unfortunately, if my options as a TD are "higher fees, high payout" or taking a moral stand and just getting some trophies made, I have little incentive to go with the latter. The former option is going to bring the players. Even more so in my non-sanctioned event, where players additionally are losing the benefit of a chance to improve their player ranking.

Ultimately, for me to get a full field, players are going to have to feel like their fees are getting put to good use. $20 for a non-sanctioned tournament with no payout is going to be $20 more than just going out and playing for a day. $50 entry where you can possibly earn more than that back? Well...now you're appealing to the gambler. And every player has a little gambler in them, otherwise they wouldn't be playing a competitive sport.

Again, I don't agree with it. On the "local" level of disc golf, the sport shouldn't be afraid to adopt a more pure stance. The bigger payouts should be reserved for pros. That way, tournaments can gain bigger exposure on the pro level, convince more players to compete at the pro level, and therefore increase the exposure of the sport on a mainstream level. But I don't think disc golf is quite ready to backtrack for that purpose. Hopefully we will, though.