View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
Unfortunately, if my options as a TD are "higher fees, high payout" or taking a moral stand and just getting some trophies made, I have little incentive to go with the latter. The former option is going to bring the players.
See, if it was me, and the second option wasn't really available, I'd choose the third option: don't hold the event.

I'm going to host some small events here in Erie once we get a course in the ground somewhere and as I said I plan to stick to my guns. I'll also donate any winnings I might get back to the Club. I'm not sure that Erie has a lot of people familiar with "how disc golf tournaments are typically run" so perhaps I have a small chance of setting it up "right" before people start to assume they should get something for their entry fee.

But seriously, why work harder for less? If you can earn $200 for your club with a small event and $200 for your club with a huge event, there are some good reasons to choose the smaller event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
$20 for a non-sanctioned tournament with no payout is going to be $20 more than just going out and playing for a day.
Yeah, that's the part I don't really get. You're getting some competition. A casual round is different. (And I'm not sure anyone's talking about NO payout at all... just not so high a % of the entry fees).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
I would play in the same number of tournaments, and the same tournaments if i just was playing for a trophy. I think if it goes trophy only, it should be 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Too many tourney's I've seen only do 1st.
You'd pay $20 or $40 for the option to play for just a trophy? You're talking about just the $20, right?

That's interesting. Maybe tournaments cost more than I'm expecting. I thought $20 to $25 was a typical entry fee for a local little event. For $50, I'd expect a mini and a disc with the tournament logo or something on it, and a 50% payout to the top 3 or 5 players, but nothing more. That's probably still way out of line with how it's done, though, yes?