View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
See, if it was me, and the second option wasn't really available, I'd choose the third option: don't hold the event.

I'm going to host some small events here in Erie once we get a course in the ground somewhere and as I said I plan to stick to my guns. I'll also donate any winnings I might get back to the Club. I'm not sure that Erie has a lot of people familiar with "how disc golf tournaments are typically run" so perhaps I have a small chance of setting it up "right" before people start to assume they should get something for their entry fee.

But seriously, why work harder for less? If you can earn $200 for your club with a small event and $200 for your club with a huge event, there are some good reasons to choose the smaller event.

That's interesting. Maybe tournaments cost more than I'm expecting. I thought $20 to $25 was a typical entry fee for a local little event. For $50, I'd expect a mini and a disc with the tournament logo or something on it, and a 50% payout to the top 3 or 5 players, but nothing more. That's probably still way out of line with how it's done, though, yes?
To your first points, I put on the events because I want to. I go into it accepting the work that needs to be done. I personally don't get any financial gain, it's just about putting on an event that people want to go to and have a good time at. It's possible that your slice of the world has a better market to experiment with lower fees and trophy-only events. If so, man I envy you.

Part of what you must understand about my situation is our area is sandwiched between Rochester, NY which is practically the birthplace of competitive disc golf; and the New England area of disc golf, which consists of the Capital region, Massachusetts (and therefore Vibram, etc.). Pros and Ams alike tend to "expect" more from tournaments. Is it a flawed view? Perhaps. But it's the reality here none-the-less.

Syracuse itself is not a very large disc golf area. We have a few quality courses, and a dedicated player population. But for us to succeed in filling our player fields (especially at the pro level), we have to rely on pulling in players from Rochester, Albany, and the Utica/Cortland area to the south. So we have to cater our payouts/fees/etc. to convince those players to make the drive out here. So they're not just factoring in the cost of entry fee. It's also dedicating drive time, gas, food, all the goodies that cost extra for them to come play.