View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
Syracuse itself is not a very large disc golf area. We have a few quality courses, and a dedicated player population. But for us to succeed in filling our player fields (especially at the pro level), we have to rely on pulling in players from Rochester, Albany, and the Utica/Cortland area to the south. So we have to cater our payouts/fees/etc. to convince those players to make the drive out here. So they're not just factoring in the cost of entry fee. It's also dedicating drive time, gas, food, all the goodies that cost extra for them to come play.
This to me is the artificial fix. We just had a C tier here with 100 players. Around 20 of those guys were local. We spent a lot of time and effort and raised a lot of cash to add to the purse so that 80 guys from out of town could come in and win all the cash we raised and take it back to wherever they came from.

This is my #1 problem with the system: A HUGE % of the resources we have to put into this game are thrown into a big gambling pot to keep this "tour" going. We raised $1,600ish dollars for the purse. That money is not going to help the 9-hole course with no tee signs and DisCatcher Sports rusting away that we have. We used it essentially to throw a big party. Now it is gone and we still have a 9-hole course with no tee signs and DisCatcher Sports rusting away on it. The priorities to me are out of whack.

So we can walk around now and act like disc golf is a big deal here now that we had 100 players at an event, but we bribed 80 guys from out of town to show up to get that number. Our turnout was still 20, which is about the same number we had last time for a small local event with a small payout. It's all smoke an mirrors.