View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM
The Whole Flipping Shed

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to Titanic_Sinks
My review (my OPINION!)

Well, I'm going to be honest here. I've been really, really excited to try the Volt. I mean, how often does a disc get as much hype as this thing? My orange 173 and blue 172 finally arrived a few days ago, and I went out and started throwing it like crazy. (For reference, I have 425' feet of power, generally throw Orcs, FD's, Swords and Halos) Here are my thoughts...

1. Feel of the Volt:

Pros-The Neutron plastic feels very nice. It's smooth and grippy and reminiscent of a gummy Star-ish plastic. I also really appreciate how well the color stands out. It's bright and vibrant and looks very classy overall. It's kinda flexible, even with the overmold, and is passably tacky when slightly damp.

Cons-It's just so shallow! I'm a pretty tall guy and I have correspondingly large hands, and the Volt really feels uncomfortable in my grip. Any amount of moisture beyond a gentle sprinkle, it becomes soap in the shower (granted that other plastics do this as well).

2. Flight of the Volt:

Pros-Seems to move faster than it's rim width would suggest. I'm guessing it's partly due to it's very low profile. Decently glidey, although not a level with the River or FD. It's capable of holding a variety of lines, but that leads me to...

Cons-I've thrown this disc a couple hundred times between fields and rounds the last few days and I'm still not sure what it does! On a flat shot with 370' of power, it just wants to turn to 1:30 and never come back. Put it on a slight hyzer, and half the time it'll just hold the hyzer. If it doesn't hold the hyzer, it (seemingly randomly) either goes dead straight (yay) with a pretty big fade (3-4), or flips and never comes back (boo).

Basically, I can't see what this disc does (for me) that other discs can't do (other than frustrate the hell out of me). I want a straight shot? I'd rather throw a Teebird. I want a flex shot? I'd rather throw an Orc. Long hyzer line? Force? Destroyer? Boatman? The problem is that I can't see the Volt excelling at any one thing.

I really wanted to like the Volt, but it's super shallow rim and extreme touchiness have convinced me that it's not my kind of disc. A jack of all trades can be useful, but not when he's schizophrenic.