View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
It doesn't, no. In golf players at the top level (PGA Tour level) still tend to be either linear or non-linear for different parts of their game. It's not like beginners are linear and then they advance to non-linear.

So either I've explained it poorly (most likely) or you've misunderstood the concepts (possible).
I understand that being the case. In watching videos, I see some pros visualizing their entire throw while preparing to throw and others just look like they see the line and are focusing on hitting their mark so the disc can do what it does. I even saw it from my cardmates when I played tourneys. I guess I was selfishly letting my personal experience interfere with overall logic.

I guess this linear vs non-linear bias is better broken down by course type preference than ability. In the case of the pros, Avery would probably be the most well-known example of a non-linear golfer (hits too many trees, and the course isn't well maintained) and Michael Johansen would be the linear (threads Comets through any and every needle you throw in front of him). Look at their scoring difference of 44 to 54 the first round of Worlds this year. That's not to say that both can't throw well in each other's course preferences though. Avery has been known to throw well in the woods and MJ can tear up some open courses.

Can a non-linear golfer excel in tight courses, or is any success more of an outlier?