Thread: [Question] Colors affect on stability.
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I can shed some light on this...Before I learned better I would have said that there is no way color could have an independent effect on stability. After getting in with the MVP guy and learning 100% more about the molding of discs than I knew before I now realize that it does have an independent effect. Now I'm not going to provide any support to this whole red dye situation, but each color is a chemical that reacts slightly differently through the inherently touchy process of injection molding. Different melting points, specific heats, and many other factors make this so. For example many of us know that all the FR Axis came out flat except the pinks, which under the exact same conditions cooled with a big dome. The MVP guys told me it was the colorant making the difference.

Now I'm sure there are many here who know way more about molding than the MVP guys....
But that wouldn't cause two discs of the same shape but different color to fly differently. It just shows that discs of a certain color are more likely to come out with a certain shape. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are environmental variables that also have an effect on the shape of the disc after cooling.

One thing that what you posted didn't address is how much of a difference the pigment makes compared to other variables. It's no secret that these discs aren't made in a super well controlled environment. Perhaps that would be a good question for them. Which variables contribute to the end shape of a disc, how much does each variable contribute and how well controlled is each variable?