View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
As a player who learned and spent the first 3 years in Kansas, I can relate. I moved to GA and the wheels fell off. Having a secondary putting stance helped most of all. Getting down a heavily wooded fairway is mostly mental, but also requires the right physical approach. I still use a short run up because it is helpful for my timing but I also tend to stay away from very stable discs and try not to get greedy. Picking landing zones and visualizing the line helped me develop a more consistent game in the woods. Over time, your comfort zone will grow and you can stretch out those landing zones to start stringing together birdies. Learn to spot, and take the higher percentage shots rather than try to punch through gaps that you are unlikely to hit.... Even the best players hit trees, or get bad tree kicks often. Suck it up, make a recovery shot that won't put you in more trouble, then forget about it on the next hole. Until you are comfortable in the woods, you can't just force yourself to make strokes up: you just have to take what the course is willing to give up.

I am almost more comfortable in the woods now. It's the wide open that gets in my head from time to time.

... Oh, and a nice flippy, comfortable midrange might help but you'll need to learn it and have absolute faith in your disc.

Last edited by kevinmzane; 12-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.