View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
I like both. Relative to ideal based on my skill level (PDGA blue level player), the BRP hole is much tougher to throw a disc straight off the tee with no initial room to turn or hyzer flip even just little. But that is why I like it so much. I'm in the "non-city park recreational player" category. I LOVE stepping up to a hole, analyzing the challenge, and feeling some anxiety and anticipation. If I have a bad drive, I don't care, it was my fault, and I care even less if the rough has been cleared up enough to allow me a chance to recover. Only to a small extent do I take clearing off the fairway into account and allow room for execution of recovery throws. It should not be easy to recover from a bad drive, it should require immense skill to shank a drive, then throw a great recovery and save par (assuming par 3 golf). If you shank a drive, you should expect a bogey, plain and simple. Great players may recover and save par, but it's not to be expected. All that said, I also believe in a designs that incorporate a variety of holes, all that require some distinct and specific throw off the tee - like long and straight, long left, short hard left, long right, and short hard right. This truly tests the well rounded player. Take the player who ONLY throws RHBH, and if he can execute a great variety of throws he may score well. On the other side too, a decent player who can throw RHBH, RHFH, overhand, rollers, etc will also probably score well. But those RHBH players without a developed anny or occasional flick will be hard pressed to score well. Course should make you elevate and continually improve your game, not cater to your comfort levels!!!

So, the second hole looks super easy, as a RHBH blue level player. It still offers a picturesque framed tee shot that requires fairly specific skilled drive off the tee (accuracy with left-right aim), but if the hole was anywhere from 275-350' long, I'd pick any number of moderate to over stable discs from my bag, snap them hard to get a bit of turn through mid-fairway, and let them naturally fade back to the green for what I suspect is an easy deuce hole for the players rated 900 and above.