View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
Is making a smaller basket, creating more missed putts making the sport any more fun to watch or play? Sure, we can make the great players score higher, but should that be the sole goal? It sounds like we'll be watching more guys shank putts. Great. For everybody that wants DG to become more popular, or become more commercially lucrative, I'm not sure tougher baskets are the answer. Nothing like trying to get new players excited while watching the best players miss shots. In my limited experience it seems course design is the first and best place to focus. Longer, well designed courses can make the Pros scores higher, while offering shorter tee pads for us mortals so we don't get frustrated. Tough greens and approach lanes could solve many of the putting issues. Sure, there may a better basket design out there, and that's fine, but by itself it doesn't make the sport more FUN. And fun is what most of us want. The focus should be on how to make it so there are challenging exciting shots in the highest level of play. There are probably several ways to accomplish that. And a tiny little target on a boring course doesn't sound like a lot of excitement to me.