View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by justactnormal View Post
I guess I don't get it then and probably won't. If the whole point is that the skill gap is unnoticeable "due to easy courses, easy 'pars' and makes" then wouldn't making courses more difficult be the obvious answer; to stop playing majors and NT events at pitch and putt courses but rather courses with legit par 4 and 5's? Having pros play the same "easy" courses but putting at a smaller target would just show that they are more accurate putters than the average joe, but says nothing about how large the skill gap is. I mean all skills. Obviously, pros are much better putters than the average player, way more accurate and consistent. I don't need a bullseye only tournament to show me that.

To me, it's kinda like saying NBA players are really great basketball players b/c they can shoot free throws better than everybody else. Of course they can shoot free throws, that says nothing about the skill gap between them and dudes playing at the YMCA. Is the best way to show the public their skill v/s the average joe to have Kobe shoot free throws at a teeny tiny basket? Or should everybody else play on an 8' goal that's 32" across instead? Would that would show how much more accurate they are?

I know it's all hypothetical and whatnot. I'm just thinking about this whole thing too seriously and had hoped that pros would lend advice about what things rec players can work on to build their skills. That would be more interesting to me than how to build a squatty basket.

At any rate, instead of watching pros still drill deadly accurate putts at a tiny basket, which they would, wouldn't it be more fun to have am level tourneys or casual courses with super huge baskets! Like 4 feet wide huge. That would be super sweet! I could putt like Nikko for a day and the point that pros are way better putters would not be lost on me, not for a minute.
Exactly, and this has been said in several different ways.