View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by justactnormal View Post
I personally couldn't disagree more, but in the end it doesn't matter. Courses around the country aren't going to be ripping out discatchers and installing bullseye baskets any time soon. For me two or three putting is a reasonable expectation on regulation baskets and I see no reason to make that one aspect of the game any more difficult. Watching pros throw to a smaller basket would also not be appealing to me at all. Longer, more challenging courses on the other hand would be a welcome change. Playing a par 65 course is more challenging and more fun for me than playing a par 54, because the is entire course is what you're playing against not just the basket. It is also more impressive, and likely more attractive to newer players and audiences, to watch pros play a super tough course and shoot -10 rather than a -3 on a par 54 with skinny baskets. That's my 2 cents.

The desire to see the impossible catch or home run in other sports doesn't really compare for me, b/c for me and maybe it's just me, b/c the beauty of this game is that I can go out and play the same courses that I watched the top level players destroy and try to accomplish the same thing using the same equipment. I can't do it, but that's why I practice. I can make a direct apples to apples comparison to the game that I'm playing and the game that the elite players are playing with the same equipment and conditions. That is impossible for other sports, espescially team sports b/c I'll never have Tom Brady trying to hit me on an out route or Jason Verlander trying to get me swing at a slider on the outside corner of the plate. That's an experience I like to watch, but I'll never be able to actually relate to. No average Joe will. But any average Joe can pick up a few discs and head out to park, usually for free, and play this great game then see how their game stacks up.

Pros putt very well, but making putting even more difficult than it already is is silly. It's the hardest part of the game, IMO, and does anybody think that making an already difficult part of the game more difficult would attract new players? That's kind of like thinking that more people would enjoy fishing if you could only use a canoe and a cane pole, b/c it's more difficult. Sure catching a striped bass on a cane pole would be hard to do and if you actually did it it'd be impressive, hell, even watching somebody else do it would be impressive.... but more likely people would get super frustrated before they caught their first one and give up. I know I would. I feel the same way about skinny baskets on courses.

Putting doesn't need to be any more difficult for anybody, new player, seasoned veteran or first time spectator to realize 'wow, these guys are good.'

End rant now and back to work.
It is ok with me if you disagree so please don't take this as a personal response.

I am 100% with you about the benefits of higher caliber courses, and I agree that they would be arguably a bigger difference in the game as a whole. However, new players would be at least as frustrated by hitting all the trees on the way to the basket on a 700 foot wooded par 4 that is a decent hole for a good player as for missing a putt because they don't have the skill to throw one on line.

I don't think that putting being harder makes the game any less accessible. Rec players will still make 30 footers sometimes. They will just be happier when they do. It also doesn't change what you love about being able to challenge the same course that the elite players do. The main problem as I see it is that the effective green size in disc golf makes mediocre approaches and mediocre putts get rewarded with birdies too often. This prevents a reasonable definition of par, comparisons between courses, and other things that people find interesting about sports like golf (from which disc golf is and always will be derived no matter how much people want to differentiate them).