View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyBear View Post
The PGA does an excellent job with it's footage, and has a much higher speed and distance to deal with than we'll ever reach throwing an object. Their "follow-cameras" on blimps can zoom in on a ball after it is struck and follow the entire course of it's flight. There is also a "ball tracker" that highlights the flight of the ball and it's trajectory. The heli-cam can do neither with disc golf. It is a cool angle, a nice additional piece of the puzzle, but it will not revolutionize the game. Suspended cable cameras would be a much better option, but the underlying problem is cost, placement, and interference with the flight. You are better to set up high cranes with nice cameras and follow holes in specific locations.

Again, lastly, it's awesome piece of tech, but it's def not something that's going to cause an explosion in disc golf. You need more cameras and strategy than just that.
Agreed those work well for golf, but aren't those pretty big ticket items? and don't the spend a lot of time and money setting some of that stuff up? The kind that networks don't mind paying because you can sell ball golf for commercial airtime? I just can't see DG's popularity blossoming to the point where real $$$ is spent covering it. Maybe that stuff's not as expensive as I think.

I think the gyro copter and other methods may revolutionize the way the game is captured on film (so to speak)... perhaps even the way the game is covered for the media (or perhaps not). I hope no one here thinks it's going to create a boom in the popularity of the game itself - ain't happening . It's already been growing on it's own at a pretty healthy rate for about a decade now. I don't see photographic techniques changing that one way or the other.

Now if the game starts to get mainstream network coverage (even ESPN), I think that might cause an upsurge in popularity- but I don't foresee much in the way of mainstream coverage. They're gonna cover what sports thae can generate $$$$ from, and DG ain't that.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.