View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
RING OF FIRE!!!!

Simply answer. More fun than CTP, more chances to win. For my Birdie Bash we bought a butt-load of additional prizes...everything from more Vibram discs to stools to towels to everything in-between. We're doing 8 ROF rounds, so there's a good chance to walk away with some loot. But that's spending our own money on prizes.

As for PDGA tourneys, players packs do have specifications on how much value you are supposed to get, but that's all subjective anyway. As long as you're getting something, you should be fairly happy. I've done plenty of tourneys (non-sanctioned) with no players packs, anyway.

On the other hand, it's all about fun. And what's mroe funt han playing some rounds with new folks and walking away with some loot? That's why CTPs and Ring Of Fires work well and people enjoy them so much.

Best values, in my opinion, are always events like Vibram Birdie Bash (25 bucks for 2 discs and a shirt with additional prizes) Discraft Ace Race (20 bucks for 2 prototype discs and a bunch of swag) Legacy's Ace Races or, recently, Dynamic Discs 2 Disc Challenge (20 bucks for two discs and a ton of prizes available.) Those are "for fun" tournaments that bring in many non-competitive players because of the fun factor AND (mostly, arguably) for the great value.

Competitive events are abotu competing and testing your skills. As long as the price is reasonable, that should be good enough.